anybody know what this is???

Big K

May 12, 2007
This pipe is a about 4.5in in diameter and it is sticking up in my backyard. I'm at a loss as to what is if for. We don't have septic tanks and not sure if the house ever had one......could it be for that??? or is it some type of vent for a underground shelter, if it is, there is no obvious entrance to it.

5-18-07032-1.jpg

5-18-07033.jpg

Hope somebody can help me figure out what this is for.

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
I think it's a clean out for a septic tank or sewer vent (Per KenPa). But whatever it is it should have been covered before it got obstructed.

I would also think that diggummup's hypothesis about a small animal is highly likely.

Next time, to find out the depth...get a long string and small weight (fishing rod w/line and sinker) to gauge the depth. Rocks have no business inside of pipes.

Try to find something to close it off with. Something that will still allow air to enter/escape. A turn down (like a "u" bend) would be ideal, but even a piece of hardware cloth or old screening secured with a large hose clamp would help.

You know, children will throw rocks down a pipe till there are no more rocks in the area that will fit in the hole.

If this is a septic vent, you may have trouble with sewer gas backups, if the old pipe is still under the house.

If it's a well you might want to utilize it later, (if you run across a pump), for filling a swimming pool, watering the garden, or washing the car/truck in times of drought.

Bluezman

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread