anybody know what this is???

Big K

May 12, 2007
This pipe is a about 4.5in in diameter and it is sticking up in my backyard. I'm at a loss as to what is if for. We don't have septic tanks and not sure if the house ever had one......could it be for that??? or is it some type of vent for a underground shelter, if it is, there is no obvious entrance to it.

5-18-07032-1.jpg

5-18-07033.jpg

Hope somebody can help me figure out what this is for.

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter
could be for a well....I have a well and a pipe like that accept mine has a cover on it.

If your using city water it might be for an old well prior to connecting to public utilities...

3S

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you measured how deep it goes? If not tie a weight on a piece of fishing line and lower it down.Better yet,tie a small flashlight or penlight to it,you may be able to see something for yourself,if it isn't too deep.If it's not that deep,it may be an old septic line,like the one in my yard.If it is really deep,then it could be an old well as suggested by 3searchin.

Upvote 0

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
That is the vent pipe for the underground vault. Get to diggin'. LOL
Probably for a well or a cistern...drop a rock in it and see if you hear a splash.

Upvote 0

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
It sure does look like a well. If there may be a similarity, I have a 2.5 inch pipe in my yard. Found it is an old oil tank fill line.

Upvote 0

widgee

Greenie
Apr 10, 2007
Very up state New York
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes
I know of a case in Philadelphia, where an iron pipe similar to your picture was found.
After considerable digging it was found to be an old root cellar which had been filled in and covered over.
There were no treasures, only a couple glass jars and olf garden tools,
But you never know.... :D

Upvote 0

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
Old water well open to all the unsuspecting poor critters to crawl into. Grandparents had one just like it. Had a metal catch barrell that went inside the pipe on a rope. Made a cool sound when you lowered it into the water and when the barrel filled it made an echoing bubble. My favorite part. Spent hours just filling and release. Simple times!!

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a well head. Could be city water came through and the well was no longer needed. Should have been capped, though.

Upvote 0

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
How old is your house and how close is the pipe to the house? My last house house(1901) had a pipe just like that just off the corner of the house. In talking to my neighbor(an 80 year old lady that grew up in my house) I learned that the pipe was originally part of a system that drained the runoff from the roof into a cistern.

Upvote 0

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
Looks like a standard well head for an old well. Take a rock and drop in it to see if it goes plunk... My uncle had one in his yard, we used to drop rocks into it.

DO NOT light a match and drop down it just in case it's an old fuel tank.

My home town had an old abandoned, torn down gas station. It looked like just a field. some kids found the pipe sticking out the ground and dropped in a match. It blew a rather large hole in the ground, neither child made it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Big K

May 12, 2007
Thanks for all the replies........I guess I never thought about a well, duh.

My neighbor is 95 years old maybe I should talk to her.

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
If you want to look down the pipe, a flashlight won't work. The only way to see down a hole is to use a mirror and reflect sunlight down the pipe. It will go all the way down and maybe you can see something - like the bottom.

Daryl

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Have you measured how deep it goes? If not tie a weight on a piece of fishing line and lower it down.Better yet,tie a small flashlight or penlight to it,you may be able to see something for yourself,if it isn't too deep.If it's not that deep,it may be an old septic line,like the one in my yard.If it is really deep,then it could be an old well as suggested by 3searchin.
Key words in relation to the flashlight-"you may be able to see something,if it isn't too deep." I can clearly see the bottom of the vertical line in my yard where it connects to the horizontal line,with a flashlight.Approximate depth-3-4 feet.
Have you checked to see how deep it is yet Big K?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Big K

May 12, 2007
diggummup said:
diggummup said:
Key words in relation to the flashlight-"you may be able to see something,if it isn't too deep." I can clearly see the bottom of the vertical line in my yard where it connects to the horizontal line,with a flashlight.Approximate depth-3-4 feet.
Have you checked to see how deep it is yet Big K?

When I first saw it about 5years ago I dropped a rock in it and it seemed to go along way and never heard it hit the bottom. I measured the depth before I posted and it only went 4ft w/ a tape measure so there is something obstructed it now. I tried the flashlight thing before and couldn't see the bottom, and its under some oak trees so little sunlight gets close to it.

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Copperhead said:
Find a baby named Jessica...see if she fits in it..if she does, its a well

ROFL ;D That little girl was very lucky!! The well she fell into wasn't much bigger around than the pipe in Big K's photo.

I'm also guessing your photo is of a well, which had a submersible pump at one time.

Upvote 0

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copperhead said:
Find a baby named Jessica...see if she fits in it..if she does, its a well

Awe Ha! lol. Cold man.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big K said:
When I first saw it about 5years ago I dropped a rock in it and it seemed to go along way and never heard it hit the bottom. I measured the depth before I posted and it only went 4ft w/ a tape measure so there is something obstructed it now. I tried the flashlight thing before and couldn't see the bottom, and its under some oak trees so little sunlight gets close to it.
Try reaming it with something to clear it out.It probably got plugged with leaves or possibly even a small animal got trapped in it and died.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread