Anyone a Business Owner Who Processes A Lot of Cash?

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else out there a business owner that operates a register and processes a lot of coins and small bills? Have you had any good finds? Does your bank care about dumping and buying with you having a business account?

I have found many pre 65 nickels, no silver dimes (which drives me banana's) many many pre 83 pennies and a few wheaties. I get a lot of 2017 P pennies as well. Rarely any 2009 of any coins. No pre 65 quarters yet, but so freaking many 1965s that I want to :BangHead: every night!

I go through my register nightly and my servers regularly watch for coins too in their tips and exchange them out with me. Its kind of turned into a fun game for all! Of course they mostly just think I'm a total weirdo... :laughing7:

I have only had positive experiences with the bank, but I still feel a little guilty about bringing in loose change so I will bag it up for register change and then take the bills in exchange to use as my bankroll. It works, but clears out those good coins for a few days until I can replenish with rolls.

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you looking for pre-'65 nickels because that's your "keeper" qualifier, or do you think they're silver? Other than war nickels (some '42, all '43-'45) there are no nickels with silver any content.

By all means keep whatever you like...just making sure you aren't keeping something because of false assumptions.

I worked a few jobs in my college years that had me running a cash register. In all those years, my only silver find was a very beat up 1963 half dollar that an older gentleman used to purchase a Pepsi. I would occasionally find a wheatie, but even those were very few and far in-between.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Grabbed a 61 Rosie outta the till the other day. In ten years owning business have only had a few scores. A couple mercs...a 64 washington, and one count 'em, just one old dude nickel.

There was a day when a kid brought in two solid rolls of pre-65 quarters and asked to change them for $$cash. I told him he better go home and put those back where he found them. We live in a TINY town. He knew I knew his old man!

Gettin the itch to start ordering boxes again......haven't in about a year.

OP
OP
S

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww man... I read the forum sticky as to save any 1964 silver colored coins! :dontknow: It does say to save anything pre 1960 though. What is the story on nickels then?

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aww man... I read the forum sticky as to save any 1964 silver colored coins! :dontknow: It does say to save anything pre 1960 though. What is the story on nickels then?

SWF
Just as Arkie pointed out, for nickels only "war nickels (some '42, all '43-'45)" have silver. You know which ones they are because of the large Mintmark on the reverse of the coin above Monticello. But, if you happen across any of the following: 1939-D, 1939-S and 1950-D
Hold onto them as well as those are key dates and can get you a premium since collectors tend to hunt for those in order to complete sets etc.

Pre 1965 silver is related to Quarters, Dimes and Half Dollars (with half dollars from 1965 to 1970 being 40% silvers instead of the pre 1965 90%)

Hope that helps.

-TwoYewts

meraxes

Jun 25, 2017
Sacramento
Primary Interest:
Other
As a follow up, according to price guides 1955 and earlier jefferson nickels hold at least a small numismatic premium. In addition to the dates TwoYewts pointed out, 1938-S is a decent pull, and if you want to take the time to look for errors there are a handful in the 30's through 50's that are sought after, as well as the 2005-D "speared bison."

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I search my till every day for the last 2 1/2 years. So far I have scored a merc, a rosie, a half dozen war nickels, and about two dozen wheaties. Far better than my keeper coin score from metal detecting (so far). Seems like I was finding keepers A LOT more frequently in the beginning. I have only found about 3 wheaties for '17. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
S

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pre 1965 silver is related to Quarters, Dimes and Half Dollars (with half dollars from 1965 to 1970 being 40% silvers instead of the pre 1965 90%)

Thanks TwoYewts! I just had that 1964 date in my mental Rolodex!

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always kept nickels made before 1960, but I do not hunt a great amount like others, so it will not break me in keeping them. Now if only I had a time machine I would take them all back to 1960 and trade them in for silver :)

SilverLunker

Nov 4, 2013
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own a business but I am a vendor that deals with LOTS of quarters and small bills. I used to search thru the $1s for older bills/star notes/low serial numbered and sequential serial (to time consuming now). But I do cull out the silver quarters and I'm up to 78 this year!!

OP
OP
S

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I find in my till are 1965 quarters! They taunt my dreams!

Seriously though, I assume there was a mass manufacture of 1965 coins when they switched over from silver to flood the market?

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually only 136 million minted in 1965 compared to 1.8 billion in 1964 compared to 453 million in 1963. It just seems that way since silver quarters are so hard to find :>)

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I search my till every day for the last 2 1/2 years. So far I have scored a merc, a rosie, a half dozen war nickels, and about two dozen wheaties. Far better than my keeper coin score from metal detecting (so far). Seems like I was finding keepers A LOT more frequently in the beginning. I have only found about 3 wheaties for '17. :icon_scratch:

3 wheats are your best keeper coins for 2017 and you own the machines you have in your avatar? You are indeed doing something wrong my friend,if you seek old coins. How often do you go detecting and most importantly...where? For corns sake I find 3 wheats every time I go out! Seriously! And I hunt 3-4 times a week! Maybe the site choice is problematic?

OP
OP
S

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually only 136 million minted in 1965 compared to 1.8 billion in 1964 compared to 453 million in 1963. It just seems that way since silver quarters are so hard to find :>)

You guys are supposed to make me feel better! LOL:laughing7:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work in a pharmacy and look thru the tills every morning I work. Over the past year or two, I have pulled about 8-10 silver dimes, about a half dozen war nicks, 3 or 4 Buffalos, a V nick, tons of wheats, and a few Indian cents, including a better date 1867. I found a '95 doubled die cent and a '50d Jefferson. I also go thru the bills, and have found a couple radars, lots of crisp star notes, and several fancies (low #, repeaters, binaries, etc) that I have sold for okay $ on eBay. Nothing too crazy but it's been fun. No silver quarters yet tho.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I work in a pharmacy and look thru the tills every morning I work. Over the past year or two, I have pulled about 8-10 silver dimes, about a half dozen war nicks, 3 or 4 Buffalos, a V nick, tons of wheats, and a few Indian cents, including a better date 1867. I found a '95 doubled die cent and a '50d Jefferson. I also go thru the bills, and have found a couple radars, lots of crisp star notes, and several fancies (low #, repeaters, binaries, etc) that I have sold for okay $ on eBay. Nothing too crazy but it's been fun. No silver quarters yet tho.

wait i am reading this right you found a 1995 ddo

SilverLunker

Nov 4, 2013
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to date (about 8 years worth) I have found about $170 face value of silver quarters! And I actually want a new job!

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver Coins

I get a lot of Old Silver Coins at SONIC! lol! It started by accident but I go about everyday and they know me. One day I mentioned to one of the car hops that I collect old coins and she told the others and now I get them from all of the carhops! I Double The Face Value of Their Tips of Old Coins that come in. It's turned into a game now. That makes them look and exchange at the registers too. It's amazing to me how many people pay with the really old coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread