Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I started out detecting with a Vaquero and would go out for 5 hours no problem, never even thought about it. After that got a MX Sport which was sort of heavy, not too bad but heavier than the Vaquero and that's when this started, now using the DEUS. Problem is after about an hour my left side abdomen is killing me. Everytime I go detecting I get a side ache now. Mostly left hip and lower abdomen on the left side. I stopped for about 4 days but couldn't totally quit:laughing7: I'm thinking this is unnatural to be swinging, walking and extending the arm at the same time. Maybe my right side is in shape but putting too much stress on the left? Maybe strained something lifting heavy stuff at work? Anyone else have that problem?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rotater Cuff problems from swinging forty years. :skullflag:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It hurts like you know what anytime I do anything. Over 60 will do that.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I started out detecting with a Vaquero and would go out for 5 hours no problem, never even thought about it. After that got a MX Sport which was sort of heavy, not too bad but heavier than the Vaquero and that's when this started, now using the DEUS. Problem is after about an hour my left side abdomen is killing me. Everytime I go detecting I get a side ache now. Mostly left hip and lower abdomen on the left side. I stopped for about 4 days but couldn't totally quit:laughing7: I'm thinking this is unnatural to be swinging, walking and extending the arm at the same time. Maybe my right side is in shape but putting too much stress on the left? Maybe strained something lifting heavy stuff at work? Anyone else have that problem?

Before, during, and after.

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh good, I'm glad to hear all of you are suffering too.:icon_thumleft:

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe one of those detecting harnesses would help? I know quite a few guys on here have had good luck with them. I think Minelab makes one that is pretty highly recommended.

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe one of those detecting harnesses would help? I know quite a few guys on here have had good luck with them. I think Minelab makes one that is pretty highly recommended.

Maybe I'll try my weedeater strap before investing in a real one. Thanks.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that a good 90 minute romp with my partner helps before going out, coupled with another 90+ minutes at the end of the day.

Little pain, and dont really care if I find anything or not, so a 2 fer.

Have not tried the strap on harness others are talking about.

Last edited:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a flooring contractor who will be 63 in September.........I hurt every where every day anyhow, sooooooo..............:dontknow::BangHead::tongue3:

Ok, seriously, I stay physically active, so unless I tweak a knee (meniscus) or overwork my arthritic right wrist the old body usually co-operates. I have found that a wrist brace with a metal plate helps with stability while swinging the coil and digging. They are available at most medical supply stores or pharmacies. Also, look into a joint supplement. The one I recommend is CH Alpha............
Good luck and good health............:thumbsup:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My arm starts hurting when swinging the heavy Excalibur in the beach for 2-3 hours. I usually don't lead hunt more than 1-2 hours at a time especially this time of year with the miserably high temps

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Detecting Buddy: A metal detector harness fits Minelab Whites Garrett Fisher. On eBay $21.95 Free Shipping. Works great. I had a Full Body Harness and it was way too bulky. I went to this one and it is so easy to use. This will eliminate most or your pain in swinging the Detector.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When detecting, I swap and use both left and right hands for swinging the detector. The problem I have is several years ago I snapped my left femur. When the Doc put in a metal bar, he didn't measure right and the left leg is about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the right leg. It messes up my back after digging targets for 4 or 5 hours. Good the next day, but hurts like crazy just after. Other than that, 72 ain't to bad.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
When detecting, I swap and use both left and right hands for swinging the detector. The problem I have is several years ago I snapped my left femur. When the Doc put in a metal bar, he didn't measure right and the left leg is about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the right leg. It messes up my back after digging targets for 4 or 5 hours. Good the next day, but hurts like crazy just after. Other than that, 72 ain't to bad.

And what was the doc's reasoning for not putting the proper one in? Any doctor would know that would mess up your back! Geeze................Hope he doesn't to carpentry on the side...........

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello User...,

If you do not mind a harness, they work wonders! I use one for all of my Minelabs, Whites and Garretts; no need for the Tesoro. With the harness I have hunted 8 - 10+ hours (my wife says I have a problem), stopping only for drinks and lunch with no problem. Now, digging all those plugs is another matter. :laughing7:

Doc

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm crowding 75 and do pretty well as long as I pace myself. I attend two competition hunts each year which entails a great deal of up and down for quick retrievals and after several sessions of that, I hurt a lot pretty much all over. A slower pace in parks etc. for and hour or so at a time is still tolerable, but I do find my self favoring my lighter detectors much of the time.
luvsdux

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My career is among the most physically demanding gigs out there, There isn't a day that something isn't hurting.
Aleve. All day strong, all day long.
When I am hunting, there is no pain, I am locked in. After the hunt, I take a muscle relaxer, and wash it down with a 6 pack. Don't judge me.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am O.K. with the AT Pro, but the Excalibur is another story. I got a harness and am going to try it. I am only 4'10 and had my husband shorten the shaft. Will see how I do. what is the best harness? But 75 and still swinging!

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have sciatica so for me it's the getting up and down that gets me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread