What's new

Singing at a huge party tonight

As a 79-year-old Vietnam Vet this whole gig made me feel really good. Thank you so much for posting this whole story and thank you for letting us all know how it went. Great Story! And to the birthday boy, "Happy Birthday!" :occasion13:
 
As a 79-year-old Vietnam Vet this whole gig made me feel really good. Thank you so much for posting this whole story and thank you for letting us all know how it went. Great Story! And to the birthday boy, "Happy Birthday!" :occasion13:
You’re welcome and thank you too. As soon as I was approached about doing it I thought of this place and couldn’t wait to share about it. Part of it was because I see a lot of people mentioning they are Vietnam war vets, but also without this place I honestly don’t know if I would have been able to do it. Sharing is my way to say thanks and show people here sometimes you touch others in ways you don’t even realize you’re doing it.

Sounds crazy but someone with anxiety can probably understand. I’ve had it since I can remember and when I joined here just over a year ago it was getting a little better but was still a huge problem for me. But interacting here helped me get better because communicating was optional and I could save drafts and reword whatever I was going to say until I felt confident in my response. And over time I became more confident in myself and the anxiety has pretty much disappeared. On stage it is gone and a thing of the past.

Since I wasn’t allowed to use social media, this site got my foot in the door to be able to interact this way. I’ve expanded to one other site but this was my first and the one that was the most helpful.
 
So I came over and read your post. Well damn, I can't think of the right words, but just too cool! You know I told you before I thought you were special, and you prove me right. Good job kiddo! (Hey, can you loan me twenty? haha, just kiddin)
 
You all have this , together.
In dark jungle are shadows you are addressing that would thrill to hear and see you and the Veterans there. They can't leave though.
Sing for them if you have to leave the vibe where you are ; for a minute. SING!
But there's no needing to even do that. Because you have this! Together.

Congrats on the Gig..


Well I for one DON"T EVER remember the Mekong River (68/69) EVER looking that good!
 
So I came over and read your post. Well damn, I can't think of the right words, but just too cool! You know I told you before I thought you were special, and you prove me right. Good job kiddo! (Hey, can you loan me twenty? haha, just kiddin)
Hahaha sure I will! Thank you, that’s kind to say. I’d question the special part, probably I’m just determined (or as my folks say- “stubborn”). Though I am pretty proud of myself, I skipped a grade when I moved here last year and 4 of my 6 academic classes are honors or advanced this year, and I maintained an overall 98 average (rounded) even with all the rehearsals.
 
Now that you've posted about this neat idea / event I wonder if it would be cool for you to post a small video of this for us to be (somewhat ) a part of this event??? And I might add that I think what you are doing is a GREAT THING ! SALUTE to you ! After re-reading your post I'm a day late and a dollar short in my request ! Sorry !
 
I third it! As a fellow musician I'd like to see a performance too.

Very cool gig you played. No better feeling than making an audience forget everything and just have fun for a while. And to help make the family's night so special will be a memory they hold forever! You should be proud!

As for the anxiety, the bigger the audience, the easier it is to shake it. But I learned early on that when the stage fright starts in, channel it (re-direct it) into excitement. Works like a charm
 
Now that you've posted about this neat idea / event I wonder if it would be cool for you to post a small video of this for us to be (somewhat ) a part of this event??? And I might add that I think what you are doing is a GREAT THING ! SALUTE to you ! After re-reading your post I'm a day late and a dollar short in my request ! Sorry !
Thank you, I would love to. I will ask if it is okay.
 
I third it! As a fellow musician I'd like to see a performance too.

Very cool gig you played. No better feeling than making an audience forget everything and just have fun for a while. And to help make the family's night so special will be a memory they hold forever! You should be proud!

As for the anxiety, the bigger the audience, the easier it is to shake it. But I learned early on that when the stage fright starts in, channel it (re-direct it) into excitement. Works like a charm
I just replied to Russau and meant to copy you on it. I’ll ask and see if it is okay.

It is a good feeling seeing everyone having fun. The weird part is so much of my singing has been while hiking where it’s basically just me, so once I get started it is just me and the music. Thanks for that info about stage fright, I’ll do that if when it happens.

Funny you mention it, I was talking to the dad of the family I lived when I moved here last year and was a nomadic orphan for a while. He was an NCO in the army, worked for federal politicians, did negotiations on the international stage, etc. In other words, well versed in speaking to groups. He told me once he went to a small church to do a presentation for a Sunday school class of about 10 old ladies and he froze, completely annihilated by stage fright. The lesson was it can happen to anyone at any time.
 
Thanks to everyone for the nice words, I really do appreciate it. The night was definitely a success. The wildest part is I was just doing it as a favor to my voice instructor and didn’t realize I was getting paid until she told me to come by to pick up the deposit. When we got the rest last night I tried to split it with the band but none of them would take it so I’m going to keep my share and give their cut to St Jude.

The beginning was crazy, my friend was completely wrecking Eruption but acting like he was really knocking it out of the park, and I was banging on that cowbell putting Will Ferrell to shame. The birthday guy’s family was griping at my instructor and one yelling for us to stop, and he was saying it was okay just enjoy the party hahaha. It was the pandemonium they wanted. Then Mac faded out of Eruption and went straight into the guitar of Fortunate Son. The birthday guy was turned trying to get his family to chill and he spun around and jumped up and screamed HELL YEAH. It was a rush!

I had nerves of steel until we got to Mercedes Benz. Everyone laughed when I said the introduction but by the second verse a lot were singing along with me, so the nervousness went away.

We did the rest of the Vietnam war set then went into Elvis. He loved that too but the last song, You Gave Me a Mountain, his entire family was in tears. I found out after the party he has cancer and it isn’t looking too good. We gave them a minute after that one then sang Happy Birthday.

The rest of the songs went great, so much so they wanted more so we did almost all I listed plus one we practiced we didn’t include- Stairway to Heaven. After we finished and the party ended a lot of the guests came up to compliment us and the ones with kids loved how I got them on the dance floor and came down to dance with them during Free Bird. And a lot were giving us tips!

They let my brother and his girlfriend attend, they just hung out in the back for the music. I don’t know exactly what my brother told my father about the show, but when I got back to my cell I had the nicest compliment from him, which was the biggest win of my night. (It’s a big deal, he isn’t exactly on board with me performing.)

Thanks again everyone!
Cool......
istockphoto-1294527619-612x612.webp

@GirlWithWolf 👍👍👍
 
I just replied to Russau and meant to copy you on it. I’ll ask and see if it is okay.

It is a good feeling seeing everyone having fun. The weird part is so much of my singing has been while hiking where it’s basically just me, so once I get started it is just me and the music. Thanks for that info about stage fright, I’ll do that if when it happens.

Funny you mention it, I was talking to the dad of the family I lived when I moved here last year and was a nomadic orphan for a while. He was an NCO in the army, worked for federal politicians, did negotiations on the international stage, etc. In other words, well versed in speaking to groups. He told me once he went to a small church to do a presentation for a Sunday school class of about 10 old ladies and he froze, completely annihilated by stage fright. The lesson was it can happen to anyone at any time.

Old ladies have a way with freezing up men. Fun thread.
 
If you drop the set list, I can chime in. Mixing a few well-known sing-alongs with quieter moments usually keeps big groups engaged and gives you room to breathe.
Thank you, our last one was a heavy metal set and we mixed it up pretty good to keep everyone’s attention and a way to rest my voice during guitar and drum solos. I watched and listened for hours to the original bands playing live on all the songs so I could get the feel of them.

We might have another one coming up with the same theme so I’ll hit you up once we know for sure and have a set. Right now we’re working on adding Bad Reputation by Joan Jett and Working Man by Rush. (LOVE THIS ONE!) We’ve not had a lot of time to practice, I’ve had a lot going on.

I did finally get hold of some vids of it and hopefully will be able to share them sooner than later. We’ll see. I wore black leather pants and tank top and saying my dad was pissed off is an understatement.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom