What's new

Anyone ever find a....

ryaan21

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
437
Reaction score
152
Golden Thread
0
Location
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 cent nickel? Not the little tiny silver one, but the other one?

Probably the rarest find on these boards I am guessing, I don't think i have ever saw one posted. I have seen the posts of the Half Dismes and whatnot, but no 3 cent nickels.
 
Years ago I was metal detecting a part of Oakland California where they had just torn down a whole block of victorian houses. My
hunting parner looked down on top of the dirt that was just scraped off by a dozer blade and saw a dark gray disc. He picked it up
and saw that it was a 1867 3 cent nickel! It was just laying on top of the ground after being exposed by the bulldozer. After 25 years
in the hobby it is still the only one I know of.
 
I remember one other a few years ago from this site .
 
I have found two of them since I started detecting in 2005ish. One has a hole in it. Both have clear dates from what I remember. One of them was found on the same day as I found a silver 3cent, so I pulled a very rare double that day. I think I found them both within a couple months of each other.
 
I have found quite a few coins from the same era, but never a three cent nickel. I have found it unusual because the three cent nickel was a very heavily used coin. It was a time when silver was hoarded and the nickel coin was a response to get coins in circulation, and it was very successful at that.
 
I don't know if it counts but I know a local guy who found one a few months ago. I think SouthJerseyJim can confirm, as he was there for that hunt.
 
I found one last May at an 1860's homesite lying on the surface.
Thought it was a clad dime until I saw the three numerals :D

_DSC03.webp
 

Attachments

  • _DSC03.webp
    _DSC03.webp
    79.7 KB · Views: 279
I was hunting a old homesite in southern Oregon when my buddy found one, maybe 6-7 years ago. defineatly a good find..........Scott
 
I found my one and only at an old home site about 5 or 6 years ago. But you are right you dont see many posted on here.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom