What's new

Anyone ever get caught in a bank stickup?

santafeboy

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2010
Messages
596
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Its a boring day in the office today so I got plenty of time to daydream I figure since most of us spend a lot of time visiting banks coin roll hunters have a high probability of walking into a holdup Anyone get caught in one of these?
 
Upvote 0
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: I guess you are bored :laughing9: :laughing9:
 
No, since this isn't 1961. :laughing9:
 
I've worked in banking since 2000.....and we were discussing this very fact today!! Never had the pleasure.......yet......
 
CardsNCoins said:
No, since this isn't 1961. :laughing9:

Actually the number of bank robberies is going up from what I have learned. I was talking recently to a bank employee at one of my banks about robberies (I thought they rarely happened anymore) and she told me that they are very common nowadays. She said that all the local banks/credit unions get news of any local bank robberies when they occur and that they are happening alot lately. It might be some old guy coming in with a note demanding money or a guy with a gun. For some reason the local news does not give them much coverage (although I don't watch local tv news).

As the economy continues to deteriorate I imagine more and more desperate people will take a stab at withdrawing cash that doesn't belong to them. They never really seem to get away with much considering how much time they will get if they get caught.

Jim
 
Very Close

I had a choice of banks to dump one Saturday and was on my way to bank "A" and I made a wrong turn so I went to the other Bank lets call it bank "B" . Well while I was dumping at the bank "B" bank "A" was robbed. The guy was wearing a halloween mask. I totally would have been dumping at the time that he robbed the bank. I checked the receipt at bank "B" and the time of the robbery and I would have been there.

Spjegues
 
jim4silver said:
CardsNCoins said:
No, since this isn't 1961. :laughing9:

Actually the number of bank robberies is going up from what I have learned. I was talking recently to a bank employee at one of my banks about robberies (I thought they rarely happened anymore) and she told me that they are very common nowadays. She said that all the local banks/credit unions get news of any local bank robberies when they occur and that they are happening alot lately. It might be some old guy coming in with a note demanding money or a guy with a gun. For some reason the local news does not give them much coverage (although I don't watch local tv news).

As the economy continues to deteriorate I imagine more and more desperate people will take a stab at withdrawing cash that doesn't belong to them. They never really seem to get away with much considering how much time they will get if they get caught.

Jim

All the more reason why we should take precautions in picking up our coins. You hear about bank robberies netting the felon with a couple of grand, yet we handle orders that greatly exceed this. It would be far easier to watch and observe patterns of CRH'ers. It would be less riskier for the felon without the mandatory minimum sentence with a potential yield that would far exceed their efforts at the bank.
 
No, I never have but we have had two different banks get robbed within a 5 mile radius of here within the last 6 weeks. I go into both of these branches often. For some reason I don't worry about being in a bank robbery as much as I do about being stopped by law enforcement officers while carrying thousands of half dollars in the car. Don't know if I could convince them that I was legal or not!!!! Does anybody else ever think about this? HH

FL Junkman
 
no not yet. it is always on my mind when i enter the bank though. i usually pause a few seconds at the door when i enter and act as though i am cleaning my shoes on the door mat. i take a quick look around while i am doing this so i have the option of quickly backing out if something is going on. i am always armed as well.
 
I am sure it'd be scary as hell, but you might be able to save the day. The story might go something like this:

A robbery was foiled when a bank customer bashed the would be culprit over the head with a box of half dollars. The box split open, which caused the customer to go wild; they ran around picking up coins while screaming "hey,a keeper!". The customer then took off. We were not able to get the person's name. All the bank would say is that the customer is "some wierdo who comes in, asks for coins, and then stares intently in our trays and asks for "that silvery coin...no not that one...the third one down".
 
FL Junkman said:
No, I never have but we have had two different banks get robbed within a 5 mile radius of here within the last 6 weeks. I go into both of these branches often. For some reason I don't worry about being in a bank robbery as much as I do about being stopped by law enforcement officers while carrying thousands of half dollars in the car. Don't know if I could convince them that I was legal or not!!!! Does anybody else ever think about this? HH

FL Junkman

It has actually happened to me once. I was incorporating my other past time of MD'ing at the time. I was questioned about my MD'ing and was led back to my car where I had just picked of 4k. I had already searched 1k and the coins were loose with the keepers on top of the skunks. Of course, the officer questioned me about the halves, how I got them, etc. I had to explain to the officer about CRH'ing and the concept of silver in circulation. He couldn't understand why anyone would bother.
 
Don't know if this fits here but; A number of years back I was doing a remodel at a local bank. It was a Saturday afternoon after the bank closed, I was suppose to hang a custom rail next to the vault The guard went to the basement to get us some coffee, I commenced to power up my Hilte hammer drill, being safety conscious wearing hearing protection and a dust mask I started pounding the bricks next to the vault door, being totally engrossed in the job I failed to here the alarm going off. When I turned around there was no less then 3 38 cals pointed at me needless to say (Lucy you got a lot of spenging to do) Richie the guard dropped the coffee and I dropped my A$$
 
once i went in to my local bank to dump some halves, and the security guard was right at the door, and he pressed the button that opens the doors for handicapped people, and greeted me very differently, he usually just lets me open the door, and as i walk by (he stands in the middle of the bank usually) he will usually give a nod and ask how im doing, but this time like i said he was acting weird and standing right at the door, after a moment of hesitation, he realized he had been acting weird, and briskly stated that there had just been someone in the bank that shouldnt have been there, and the guy had just left, apparently the guy didnt get anything, but damn sure he had tried! luckily i didnt make it there 5 minutes earlier, cuz he could have been sent away by the teller and the guard, and upon leaving he might have tried to "jack" my coins haha.....but other than that...nope. haha. keep it up and hh! (be safe out there, the world is a cruel place!)
 
Very close.

I was about 1 h late. The bank was robbed at 9 am and I was there 10 am. Of course I couldn't get in the bank because it was sealed by police yellow tape. I had a picture posted here before.
 
never walked in on one, but i found out about a bank i hadn't hit when it was robbed the day before. got 3 40%ers.also knew a guy who tried once. did it in our own neighborhood and the teller was someone he went to high school with. i think he made it home around the same time the police were coming to arrest him. i didn't say he was very bright.
 
I pulled into one bank I frequent and was met with police cars and taped off parking lot. Apparently they had been robbed only 15-20 minutes earlier.

Good point silvercop, I need to be more aware of whats going on in the bank before entering. Never though about that. I do tend to pay attention to who is standing around when going in though because carrying many boxed of half dollars out the door draws undue attention. My main bank usually has an armed guard posted at the door so that does help me to feel a bit better.
 
happily I can say no --but --I do have a nominee for worlds dumbest bank robbers * --the fool's robbed the callahan , florida wachovia bank ( in my hometown) a while back ---uh clearly they were not locals and had not properly cased the joint they planned to rob --because if they had --- they would have known that in the back corner of the building --in the rear of the bank--- is a 3 police car "manned" sub station that serves the west side of my county --needless to say their "get away" was quite short and they will be doing at least 20 years mandatory for armed robbery of a bank
 
About 10 years ago I was working for a major computer company on their second level helpdesk supporting a nationwide bank chain for computer problems. I received a case for some problem with a computer at a bank in Florida from the first level helpdesk that couldn't resolve the problem. (I was located in Colorado). I called the customer back and said that I could help her with her computer problem when she told me that it was not a good time right now. I inquired when would be the best time to call back and she told me that the next day would be better as they were being robbed at the moment. I figured that the robber was within earshot so I asked Yes/No questions. "Is he armed?", "Do you want me to call the police for you?" She said yes to both and I told her that I would call them. I never found out what ever became of the case, but I ended up calling the local police and told them what was happening.
 
Bank robberies in my area are WAY up. Probably 3 dozen over the last two years at least that I know of. Two local banks nearme have been robbed twice each and one three times in a year.
 
No but one of my dump banks was robbed a couple days before I did a dump. I arrived with bagels and flowers. Manager gave me a big man hug and said thanks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom