What's new

anyone ever get ikes ordered in bulk?

grampa

Full Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

i've read several old posts about possibly being able to order $1k bags of ikes...


Went to a bank today and asked them.. they think they can get them for me... will let you know if they actually do and what (if anything) i find


has anyone successfully done this?
 
Upvote 0
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

Make sure they are Ikes, not the new "gold" president dollars. Many tellers dont even know what an Ike is.
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

at first they said they had them in the vault and have been dying to get rid of them.. then they come out and say they are lincoln dollars...

i saw her write down Ike $'s

we'll see


then i'll just have to figure out how to dump... i'm hoping coin shops will buy them off me for face
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

silver.. u r in chicago area too right? 'if' i get the bag would u mind sharing the dealer with me? EDIT.. so i realize that might be asking too much... i'll just call a bunch of coin shops and see if anyone wants them

assuming i actually get them
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

I had about 20 Ikes and tried to sell them on Craigs List. No takers. I started to spend them around town. I stopped a local gas station and gave the attendant three of them. He did not want to take them from me because they were "good luck coins". It took a while but he finally took them. He said that he would leave them out on the counter and try to sell them. I came back a few hours later to fill my wife's car up. He had sold them for four and five dollars each. I gave him two more. He was glad to get them. If I get some more I think I could sell them to him for $2 each.

I think the average person thinks they are special and be willing to pay more than a buck for them. Collectors know they are only worth a buck. You need to find someone who works behind a counter that can put a few out and unload them throughout the day.

Give it a try and let me know the results.

Gordon and Tanner
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

No dealer would by 1000 ikes for 1.05 when they can go get them for free. It would reduce their cash flow for their operation, i.e. they can make more money investing in something else.

I've gotten a few bags with my brother in law. We found a few 73s, proofs, a few silver ikes and 2 silver dollars, a peace and a morgan. We went through about 4 to 5 k. It was exciting but you can find more in halves so we stopped doing it. It also became painful to dump; no one wanted Ikes and I actually felt bad about dropping many of these off at a bank because they are worthless.

hope that helps. If you get a bag hopefully you'll get a silver DALLAR!!!
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

Phrostie I'm more concerned about dumping them then profiting from the dump

Maybe they'd buy them off me for face
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

Where the heck are these dealers getting Ikes for free?
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

Yep, I got a few $1000.00 Bags. They are really heavy too. Never found anything in them so I stopped getting them.
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

I guess the allure is possibly getting old silver but I guess it remains to be seen just how frequently that actually happens

Doesn't seem like anyone regularly searches them
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

Worth a shot.
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

not sure, but if i were you i would grab a bag or two just for the hell of it...good luck!!!
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

whoops fistfulladirt I meant for FACE. Yeah if I knew where they were getting them for free I'd be there too!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

phrostie said:
No dealer would by 1000 ikes for 1.05 when they can go get them for free. It would reduce their cash flow for their operation, i.e. they can make more money investing in something else.

I've gotten a few bags with my brother in law. We found a few 73s, proofs, a few silver ikes and 2 silver dollars, a peace and a morgan. We went through about 4 to 5 k. It was exciting but you can find more in halves so we stopped doing it. It also became painful to dump; no one wanted Ikes and I actually felt bad about dropping many of these off at a bank because they are worthless.

hope that helps. If you get a bag hopefully you'll get a silver DALLAR!!!

Absolutely not true. My coin dealer offered me $50.00 above what I paid the bank for a bag of Ike's. Said that I was in on the deal, how many can you handle? He said at least two a week, no more than four but they must come in a sealed bag. Said no problem and went to my bank, couldn't order Ike's. >:(
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

phrostie said:
whoops fistfulladirt I meant for FACE. Yeah if I knew where they were getting them for free I'd be there too!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7:
I knew what ya meant phrostie, I was just being an a$$
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

FreedomUIC, sealed bag? meaning u would just be the middle man and not get to search them?
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

grampa said:
FreedomUIC, sealed bag? meaning u would just be the middle man and not get to search them?

Correct, It would take several Ike's to come up with $50.00 dollars in silver value and I wouldn't have to dump. Easy money, but
alas, it was not to be. :-\
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

i wonder if he planned on searching them or selling them as unsearched lots... probably the latter
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

My tellers save Ike's for me. I take everything they get, because I don't want to refuse anything. I have a dealer that gives me $1.03 for what I don't keep. She has a customer who buys all she gets. I figure that money in a CD isn't going to get me 3% now. It is the same dealer I go to for my collecting supplies, so it isn't a special trip or anything.
 
Re: anyone ever get ike's ordered in bulk?

i haven't been to a coin shop yet but i've been meaning to in order to look around and get some sleeves... collector books..etc

i can ask while i'm in there i guess
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom