Garscale
Bronze Member
- Joined
- May 4, 2020
- Messages
- 1,351
- Reaction score
- 3,627
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- East texas
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
- #1
Thread Owner
I've seen a die capped penny but that almost looks like a penny stuck in the die. Is it thicker than a normal penny?
but if it is thicker... it is 2 or three coins put together in a ring?
I'm not refusing to believe. It's not even mine. Just trying to get info as I could find nothing like it on the net. Thanks for the looks and opinions.
Well, Charlie posted something very much like it, though your example looks better crafted. I have seen quite a few over the years on forums and at coin shows, people were wonderfully creative back then and they often encased coins in buttons, cameos, cuff links ect. This style due to its weight may not have been optimal for wear, really doesn't necessarily have to have a purpose but obviously someone decided it was worth the time and effort to create. Wear on the high points of the obverse [and it would stand to reason that it was in mint condition when fashioned, don't think anyone would use a trashed, circulated coin for something like this] suggests it was pressed in, and a very nice fit.
I actually tried the link and it wouldnt open for me but generally I wont open them anyway.Charlie posted a link. I trust Charlie but generally I don't follow links. Maybe Garscale didn't either.