What's new

Anyone found an 1950 D Jefferson Nickel?

Tattooguy67

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2009
Messages
333
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Hi all, was wondering if and how many of these have been found, I am right around the 100,000 mark for nickels and am still around 4-5 short for all the albums and of course one of the missing is the 50D so is this one ever found? let me know and thanks for reading,

Chuck.
 
Upvote 0
I have only found about six 1950 nickels period. #5 was a 1950d, it was this past Febuary.
 
i found one a little over a year ago, only found 1 1950 since
 
Yes, I found 2 1950D. I finished my circulation Jefferson set within one month after about 50 boxes. My second set lacks the 38d and 38s.
 
Just took a look at my nickel books... and I only have one 1950, no D or S, just a 1950. WOW! Never realized that. Wonder why the 1950 is so hard to find? I collect up to 1963 and the 2005 Buffalo Nickels. I'll have to sit down and record how many of each year and mint I have. I just put them in holders and then in my books. Now I'm going to be on the search for 1950's, all mints! LOL!
Annmarie

PS: I am now curious, so did some searching and found these links:

http://www.alaskacoinexchange.com/articles/jefferson 1950-d.htm

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~tjw/coins.html

http://www.mintmark.com/jeffersonnickels1938-1969.html

Interesting, the 1950 D was a very low mintage and they were hoarded when they went on the market.
 
Not yet. But I do have a couple of 1950 nickels with no mintmark. Every time I find a 1950 nickel, I do a little prayer and slowly, SLOWLY turn over the nickel. Same for the 1948 nickels.
 
Nope, still lookin' for the 50 D and 38D

HH
-GC
 
One, last year. It was xf - au, so looks like it came out of someones collection.
 
found one finally a few months ago. still dont have the 38 and 39 d and s mint marks though. havent really been hunting rolls in a while. the one i found was very worn. definately not one someone put away. this one has been around the block a few times so to speak.
 
I was going to post a new topic b/c i actually found one last night ! That is a hard coin to find and the one i found it interesting i would say the front of the coin is MS-60 and the back is MS-64 with a slight brownish tone ! NOT DIRT ! but i glad you brought this topic up b/c i have and i found it yesterday afternoon !

HH
~Holmes~
 
Tattooguy67 said:
Hi all, was wondering if and how many of these have been found, I am right around the 100,000 mark for nickels and am still around 4-5 short for all the albums and of course one of the missing is the 50D so is this one ever found? let me know and thanks for reading,

Chuck.

I search a lot of coins, and that includs nickels. I have found 4 1950 and 1 1950D. So to answer your question YES I have found one, but ONLY one. :-) Pretty rare.

Hey, why do you (A subsequent poster) keep the 2005 buffalo nickel? I see thos eliterally every week! What's up with that one?
 
I have yet to find one, Although I have found about 9 buffalos and 2 V nickles. I need about 5 more to complete my Jefferson collection found in the wild.

Gordon
 
jrf30 said:
Hey, why do you (A subsequent poster) keep the 2005 buffalo nickel? I see thos eliterally every week! What's up with that one?

I saw this on the news some time back and since then, I save them hoping to find one! I'm afraid to put the ones that aren't errs back into circulation, I don't want to search the same ones! LOL! I have found 2 with slight errs that run from the bottom of the "U" to the bottom of the "D" in the word "UNITED". Nothing spectacular, but to me, worth saving those two. You can see them with the naked eye. I do have a third one that really is prounced in the same location...so I am sure there are more of those out there. If I get a chance today, I'll try to post a pic, I think I took a pic of it...if not, I'll take one.

Here's an article about the "SPEARED BUFFALO":
http://www.coinresource.com/news/news2005/Speared_Buffalo_Nickel_2005.htm

And even though, the ones found are on the "D mint", I look at all of them, never know! So, that is why I save those! One day, maybe I'll get lucky...if she found 27 of them, I am sure there will be more out there somewhere!

Happy Coin Hunting,
Annmarie

PS: just found this page, I didn't know about this....glad I have all those nickels, now I will have to look for these:
http://www.biggerbids.com/archive/auction/7464/2005-D-Jefferson-Bison-Nickel-Error.html

And a word of caution on some fakes that are out there:
http://www.richerrors.com/news.php?art=14

There are quite a few "SPEARED BUFFALOS" on Ebay...WOW!
 
LadyDigger said:
jrf30 said:
Hey, why do you (A subsequent poster) keep the 2005 buffalo nickel? I see thos eliterally every week! What's up with that one?

I saw this on the news some time back and since then, I save them hoping to find one! I'm afraid to put the ones that aren't errs back into circulation, I don't want to search the same ones! LOL! I have found 2 with slight errs that run from the bottom of the "U" to the bottom of the "D" in the word "UNITED". Nothing spectacular, but to me, worth saving those two. You can see them with the naked eye. I do have a third one that really is prounced in the same location...so I am sure there are more of those out there. If I get a chance today, I'll try to post a pic, I think I took a pic of it...if not, I'll take one.

Here's an article about the "SPEARED BUFFALO":
http://www.coinresource.com/news/news2005/Speared_Buffalo_Nickel_2005.htm

And even though, the ones found are on the "D mint", I look at all of them, never know! So, that is why I save those! One day, maybe I'll get lucky...if she found 27 of them, I am sure there will be more out there somewhere!

Happy Coin Hunting,
Annmarie

PS: just found this page, I didn't know about this....glad I have all those nickels, now I will have to look for these:
http://www.biggerbids.com/archive/auction/7464/2005-D-Jefferson-Bison-Nickel-Error.html

And a word of caution on some fakes that are out there:
http://www.richerrors.com/news.php?art=14

There are quite a few "SPEARED BUFFALOS" on Ebay...WOW!

I've been looking for the "Speared Buffalo" for a couple years now with no luck. This year though every 2005-D Buffalo I have been setting aside. After looking at them, I have put them in a bag to all be dumped together some day... So technically I am pulling them from circulation for now, but I plan to dump them at some point. I probably have $50 worth so far (just a guess).
 
GMan00001 said:
LadyDigger said:
jrf30 said:
Hey, why do you (A subsequent poster) keep the 2005 buffalo nickel? I see thos eliterally every week! What's up with that one?

I saw this on the news some time back and since then, I save them hoping to find one! I'm afraid to put the ones that aren't errs back into circulation, I don't want to search the same ones! LOL! I have found 2 with slight errs that run from the bottom of the "U" to the bottom of the "D" in the word "UNITED". Nothing spectacular, but to me, worth saving those two. You can see them with the naked eye. I do have a third one that really is prounced in the same location...so I am sure there are more of those out there. If I get a chance today, I'll try to post a pic, I think I took a pic of it...if not, I'll take one.

Here's an article about the "SPEARED BUFFALO":
http://www.coinresource.com/news/news2005/Speared_Buffalo_Nickel_2005.htm

And even though, the ones found are on the "D mint", I look at all of them, never know! So, that is why I save those! One day, maybe I'll get lucky...if she found 27 of them, I am sure there will be more out there somewhere!

Happy Coin Hunting,
Annmarie

PS: just found this page, I didn't know about this....glad I have all those nickels, now I will have to look for these:
http://www.biggerbids.com/archive/auction/7464/2005-D-Jefferson-Bison-Nickel-Error.html

And a word of caution on some fakes that are out there:
http://www.richerrors.com/news.php?art=14

There are quite a few "SPEARED BUFFALOS" on Ebay...WOW!

I've been looking for the "Speared Buffalo" for a couple years now with no luck. This year though every 2005-D Buffalo I have been setting aside. After looking at them, I have put them in a bag to all be dumped together some day... So technically I am pulling them from circulation for now, but I plan to dump them at some point. I probably have $50 worth so far (just a guess).

The only luck, if that's what you want to call it, are those 3 with the 'err' under the "U" extending under the "D" in UNITED. Other than that, nothing. I plan to put all these back into circulation too, but not at my store! :) Couldn't tell you what I have in dollars, cause in the beginning, I only looked at them and put them back if nothing. I may have about 20 bucks worth here, when I realized I was probably looking at the same coin, since the bookkeeper rolls the coins at the end of the night for the next day till. Sometimes you may only use one roll of nickels for the shift.
 
LadyDigger said:
jrf30 said:
Hey, why do you (A subsequent poster) keep the 2005 buffalo nickel? I see thos eliterally every week! What's up with that one?

I saw this on the news some time back and since then, I save them hoping to find one! I'm afraid to put the ones that aren't errs back into circulation, I don't want to search the same ones! LOL! I have found 2 with slight errs that run from the bottom of the "U" to the bottom of the "D" in the word "UNITED". Nothing spectacular, but to me, worth saving those two. You can see them with the naked eye. I do have a third one that really is prounced in the same location...so I am sure there are more of those out there. If I get a chance today, I'll try to post a pic, I think I took a pic of it...if not, I'll take one.

Here's an article about the "SPEARED BUFFALO":
http://www.coinresource.com/news/news2005/Speared_Buffalo_Nickel_2005.htm

And even though, the ones found are on the "D mint", I look at all of them, never know! So, that is why I save those! One day, maybe I'll get lucky...if she found 27 of them, I am sure there will be more out there somewhere!

Happy Coin Hunting,
Annmarie

PS: just found this page, I didn't know about this....glad I have all those nickels, now I will have to look for these:
http://www.biggerbids.com/archive/auction/7464/2005-D-Jefferson-Bison-Nickel-Error.html

And a word of caution on some fakes that are out there:
http://www.richerrors.com/news.php?art=14

There are quite a few "SPEARED BUFFALOS" on Ebay...WOW!

Thanks for the update. :-) ALways learning something on this site!
 
I missing the 1950D from my set as well. It's all just a numbers game. We just need to search more.

Now I have the itch to pull a box of nickels off the shelf and start looking. :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom