What's new

Anyone get unwanted/incorrect advice while metal detecting?

Nothing touches my coil except maybe a tall blade of grass. My detector goes deep enough that I don't miss the 1". I have never used a coil cover and my coils are 12 years old and going strong. I have found just about everything you can find with a detector so I doubt I missed more than someone with a cover scrubbing the ground. Scrubbing the ground is not only bad for the windings in your coil but the excess vibration is bad for the rest of the detector. Just my point of view. Frank...
coins_0009 2euro_edited-1.webpJust my 2 Euros worth.
 
I wear headphones so I can choose to hear them or not. I do talk to people who seem genuinely interested.
Mostly people are commenting about the diamond ring they lost, most are joking a few are serious.
You can usually tell early on in the convo if they are genuine or flaky. Being blonde & a girl will attract unwanted attention at times, but you seem to know how to Handel it.

As for wacky I was night hunting and had a guy try to give me a silver pot pipe he said he found on the beach, I told him he found it he should keep it, turned and walked on detecting.

If it was on Wollaston Bch. There is an older guy and a few others that detect there.
 
Well he gave you great advice. Perhaps not for your immediate situation, But
Excellent advice.

Coil Cover & slow scrubbing of the coil is my habit since 1999.

is there a chance you were Swinging fast coil,
6" off the ground, with an bow to each side
where your coil bowed up & detected the air ? :tongue3:

Not a rude accusation, But I have seen some do this :laughing7:
& then wonder why they can't find anything.

Again, I wouldn't call him rude, or wrong. Just perhaps giving
friendly advice you didn't want.

advice Whether you want it or not :laughing7:

View attachment 942237
good way to miss some deeper stuff!
 
I too have gotten the "You're wasting your time here, there's nothing left.". I get people telling me to search the obvious old school lot all the time....even though it's been back filled about 20 times and there's literally nothing there lol.

My best advice also came from some young teen. He was walking by and stopped to talk. I wasn't finding much and he told me to try an old park where he and his uncle who was an army minesweeper found some cool old toys. I'd never heard of this park or seen it on any city maps so I went. Turned out this park was just more of a green spot in the middle of a U-shaped cul du sac with houses around it. Maybe half an acre in size. It had some nice huge trees which looked promising. Turned out to be a virgin site......I pulled a LOT of 1890-1920ish coins. Silver, copper, modern clad of course and even a gold ring. One of the best spots I ever hunted. Sadly it also has a bit of a sink hole and has been filled with two feet of wood chips around the hole. So there is a lot there I can't get to. :/ I did find out later in that year from an ancient lady) that this park was one corner of an old 1900's horse racing track. I never once found any data about this track in any source. I guess that's why nobody had hit it before me......accept the minesweeper guy who obviously wasn't looking for old coins lol. Now if I can only get permission to do the yards around the park.........
 
People have often said hunted out. Or we did a grid on that area years ago. New detectors pick up a lot that was missed and I think relics/artifacts rise and sink depending upon weather conditions. So yes I have had some bad advice but thats ok.
 
I don't care what anybody says, nothing is ever truly hunted out, I still find old coins in parks I have pounded over and over for 36 years, just approaching a spot at a different angle of just a few degrees can mean finding something I probably walked over thousands of times before. 2 ways I take it when somebody offers the advice that a place is hunted out, either they don't know what I know about angles or they are hoping you will leave so they can keep finding them goodies themselves lol.

Mike
 
BARKER said:
HI Spark girl; My main concern for you and others. "SAFETY". I met a lot of nice people over the years. I've met quite a few not so nice nut jobs. I actually had three of them arrested. No regrets. !!! I'll explain via pm's if you guys want. Your SAFETY is Paramount to anything ok. Please keep your eyes open and your cell phone handy ok. PEACE:RONB

Pm me. I want to hear
 
I don't care what anybody says, nothing is ever truly hunted out, I still find old coins in parks I have pounded over and over for 36 years, just approaching a spot at a different angle of just a few degrees can mean finding something I probably walked over thousands of times before. 2 ways I take it when somebody offers the advice that a place is hunted out, either they don't know what I know about angles or they are hoping you will leave so they can keep finding them goodies themselves lol.

Mike
I find myself hunting a area, that I alone have been digging,and sometimes say to myself ,there probably isn't anything left.But with a little persistence i surprize myself sometimes.I think it has to be a somewhat of a negative person to tell someone it is "hunted out".Even if they really think it is,it is still a negative thing to say to someone.Or like you said,mabey they just cant stand the idea of what you might find.A simple Good Luck works for me.Cant stop that human defect called jealousy.joe
 
I've seen and heard it all, from someone on the beach following and videotaping me as I searched to a disturbed individual walking up to me and began pressing buttons on my detector screen. As far as dragging your coil across the ground...well, when I do that by sheer accident I get false signals, so , not good advice. I do love when inquisitive kids walk up to me and draw a big X in the sand and say "dig here Mr ", too funny.
 
Worst advice I ever got went like this "Hey, that old man won't care if you go up in there and look around. He ain't got no family round here and ain't nobody ever comes to visit him. He'll probably appreciate somebody to talk to. Go on ahead and check that place out." Turned out there was a very good reason nobody ever came to visit that old fart and I suspect his family's buried out in the yard somewhere. There are many levels to jokes played by local yokels.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom