What's new

Anyone got tips on cleaning proofs?

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2008
Messages
1,415
Reaction score
412
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
The title says it all. I have quite a few proofs and wondered if anyone had succeeded in cleaning one up to make it look nice without making it look "cleaned". Just need to remove a few spots and a fingerprint or two.

Maine_Jim
 
Upvote 0
Put a bit of bakng soda in a pan. Pour some very hot water over it, shake it around a bit and turn the coin over so the coin gets clean on both sides.
Rinse clean with cold water ,and dry with a towel.
 
I have used acetone in the past to clean prints off of 90% silver proofs. I have not tried it on the clad proofs. It is my understanding that the acetone only works on fresh prints. Once the prints have etched into the surface it is impossible to get them off without damaging the coin further. Just for kicks I have put a NiCu proof in some acetone and I will let you know how it goes.

65GT350
 
I use rubbing alcohol and it seems to work pretty well along with a soft cotton cloth.
 
The acetone didn't seem to work to remove the fingerprint. Apparently it was on too long or the acid in the fingerprint interacts differently with CuNi proofs.

65GT350
 
Anybody sold any circulated S mint halves? What did they go for? I am thinking of selling them as a roll.

-Golden Silver
 
golden silver said:
Anybody sold any circulated S mint halves? What did they go for? I am thinking of selling them as a roll.

-Golden Silver

In the past I traded them to Silver Fox. We agreed on a ratio of 2 proofs for 1 40% half. Years ago I was getting 1:1 for 40% and in fact on ebay I sold a roll for $27.00 but this was a long time ago.

65GT350
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom