Anyone have an idea what this means?

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
The snow has melted, the ground is thawing, I've had cabin fever hard, so I took the day to get out and explore. What a beautiful day, got into the 50's and the sun was out in full force. :icon_sunny: Micki and I hit the yard to spend some quality time and get back into the "swing" of things. We had a ball. Found a couple of neat trinkets, 2 and 3/4 cents the oldest a 1962. So you know I have gotten better with discriminating out the nails, the vibra probe found them in the same hole as the other "junk" (as the Hubby says :D)

Leaving Micki at home for a bit, I head out to where I found an old road for a meat packing co., from the mid 1800's. I finally find what was surely a road at one time. Looking for any signs of THE spot, I catch something fluttering in the breeze, it looks like a large feather. Instead of floating to the ground it just swings there. ??? Well I have to take a closer look, the feather is tied by string to the limb of a large pine tree along with the leg of what I am assuming was the Hawk. :o Now my imagination is running wild, but curiousity has me too. Leave? Or take just a minute to look around? I swing around part of the tree and feel like I'm being watched. (I'm sure that feeling was too may horor novels :D) OK I'm outta here!

Does anyone have a clue to the meaning or why someone would do this. I would really feel better knowing something of the meaning, if anyone would know......... it's you folks. Thank for the help!

Attachments

• first hunt, floor 023.jpg
    first hunt, floor 023.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,690
  • first hunt, floor 009.jpg
    first hunt, floor 009.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,598
  • first hunt, floor 008.jpg
    first hunt, floor 008.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 2,629
  • first hunt, floor 006.jpg
    first hunt, floor 006.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,653
  • first hunt, floor 018.jpg
    first hunt, floor 018.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,673
  • first hunt, floor 019.jpg
    first hunt, floor 019.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,667
  • first hunt, floor 017.jpg
    first hunt, floor 017.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,688
Upvote 0
After looking over my post from the previous night i need to make correction.

I meant to say "Stand" and not "set". Predator hunters make "stands" which is the sequence of playing the calls to lure a predator in.

Thats what happens when i stay up past my beddy bye time posting on the net, i get things all turned around :D

A "Set" is Trapper terminology.

To my knowledge leg hold traps are not illegal, at least not here.

I think i would much rather run into a feather than the 500lb dumpster bear i ran into one time in upstate NY?

Hmmmm, let me think about that for a sec? ...... ........... ........... ......Yep, i'll take the feather! :)

I don't know Kim..... The more I look at that picture, the more I think you got out just in time!!! :wink: :o

Attachments

• WoodsWitch.jpg
    WoodsWitch.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,535
It doesn't look like a leg to me at all, I see spots on the 'leg' where little branches used to be...

The 'other picture' or 'goo' is pine sap...

On the real hawk, look at his leg, it is thick and the talons are defined, the stick above the feather is not anything like it, plus it doesn't have the scales like hawks and turkeys have...

The object above the feather is slightly thicker than the feather's shaft, hawk legs are as thick as a sharpie and the talons are large. A young Goshawk can break a man's forearm with it's talons, both bones like twigs!!!

I used to be into falconry and it takes a lot of time and energy to trap a hawk, they are extremely smart and typicall won't even go after live trapped prey set out as a trap...

Sanat said:
The feather is used to mark the spot where the gold cache is buried. Don't worry, there was probably not too much buried there anyway.

It is definitely a turkey feather. Google the image if you have doubt.

I agree that it might be a setup for bobcat or coyote shooting.

thanks for taking the time to share with us this most unusual scene.

If you want to go back to the site then let me know and I will say a prayer to remove the negativity.

HH

Sanat

I really have looked at both turkey and hawk all over, could be either. I would like it to be turkey but it's only 10-12" long?

I did a quick gold sweep before I ran. :tongue3:

Start praying, i'm going back! :thumbsup:

True_Metal said:
After looking over my post from the previous night i need to make correction.

I meant to say "Stand" and not "set". Predator hunters make "stands" which is the sequence of playing the calls to lure a predator in.

Thats what happens when i stay up past my beddy bye time posting on the net, i get things all turned around :D

A "Set" is Trapper terminology.

To my knowledge leg hold traps are not illegal, at least not here.

I think i would much rather run into a feather than the 500lb dumpster bear i ran into one time in upstate NY?

Hmmmm, let me think about that for a sec? ...... ........... ........... ......Yep, i'll take the feather! :)

Leg traps, killing hawks, eagles, herons. ect.... has been illegal for a long time around here. I am glad I am now thinking about those old traps, thanks, really.

I'd at least have a clue how to deal with a Bear, but a ceremonial issue, cult, who knows what else? Lets go hunting! :D

Looks like something is painted under the large tree branch it's tied to.I don't see anything that resembles a hawk foot.I also question that being a turkey feather.It may be a hawks feather if there is a hawks foot there as well. ???

Home, if you only knew. :D Neat old house.

Johnny? Johnny? Johnny? Thanks a million! :D LMAO You were fairly close there, keep the light on! ;D

I keep saying leg..........you folks are mentioning foot? :-\ looks like his little foot now doesn't it? I took a moment and I am sure about the leg/foot, 95% sure. I'm going back with a tape measure, my camera, a long stick, and reinforcements, hopefully tomarrow EARLY night. :D

I'll take more pictures with someone watching my back! :wink:

:P Uh, yeah...I'da took the shortcut through the swamp too, CG! :D

That is ONE WEIRD find, girl! :o

Looks like a bone or a stick to me. Hard to tell exactly from the pics?

Yes, go check it out fully and lets see the final verdict?

This i do know for sure. Look familiar? It is a turkey wing feather from NY and the same species as the one hanging in the sacrificial tree of doom. LOL :D

This one will be cut up soon to make some pretty flies.

SN850039-1.jpg

First image is Willy, our Bourbon Red turkey (retired last Thanksgiving). The other two are Fred & Wilma, our Naragansett turkeys.

Both are "heritage" breeds that have fallen nearly to extinction. Domestic turkeys that can actually forage and tend for themselves.

We had five last Sunday, and I did a double take as I thought we were down to two. THree wild turkeys were entertaining Wilma! Note Fred in the left side displaying to no avail.

Attachments

• HPIM0560s.jpg
    HPIM0560s.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,394
  • hpim0328s.jpg
    hpim0328s.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,395
  • HPIM0416s.jpg
    HPIM0416s.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,409
  • HPIM0291s.JPG
    HPIM0291s.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,429
WHEN I WAS 13 YEARS OLD I WAS PLAYING IN A WOODS THAT I WENT TO ALOT,
ONE DAY I LOOKED UP IN A TREE AND THERE WAS A DEER HEAD LOOKING DOWN AT ME!
HEAD CUT OFF, EYES GONE , HALF SKULL , HALF FLESH!
IT WASNT THERE YESTERDAY!!!
TALK ABOUT FREAKED OUT!!

TURNS OUT MY FRIEND CHAD HUNG IT THERE SO BIRDS WOULD CLEAN IT TO THE BONE THEN HE WAS GOING TO
HANG IT IN HIS GARAGE.
I WOULDNT BE FREAKED OUT IF I WERE YOU, ITS NOT LIKE YOU STUMBLED ACROSS A CULTS RITUAL AREA,
AT LEAST I HOPE YOU DIDNT!

Johnny Cache Hunter said:
I don't know Kim..... The more I look at that picture, the more I think you got out just in time!!! :wink: :o

LMAO ;D ;D Like the Pumpkin Head up in the tree!

It looks like some kids were messin around after watching too much Blair Witch or something :wink:

True, I love the fly tie station! It takes a ton of patience for that hobby.

Charlie, Burbon is, was, a great looking bird. Do you do the deed yourself, or drop him off for preperation?

I am fairly certain it's a leg and foot that has been hanging there for quite a while. Yeah a deer head would have been creepy, but I have heard of folks leaving them out for the ants to clean. Better than baking it in the oven, STINKY! Right Dad? :D

Nana, If you only knew how creeped out I got. Took me 30 hours too decide to post. :tongue3: Glad I did if it's just a hunting lure. I can deal with that! :)

Fun thread!

Many moons ago, when I ran a trapline, we used scented lures for predators.
Not quite so obvious as that, but similar.
And I'll agree, also, it could be a hunter.

Either one would be less than happy to see you there, especially with a dog.
But that's not to say any more than that.

Something like that could have meaning to an Indian of your local tribes.
Or it could be some poser...

HH

I went back today with the reinforcement :P.

First I have a great imagination! :D But dog gone it it LOOKS like a foot. :tongue3: So it is a stick, the feather started it. :D I couldn't reach it, but the Goo is pine pitch. Sure did look gross.

This was a fun thread and I learned a ton. I am woman enough to admit I over reacted. :-\ But if I didn't have you folks I wouldn't have gone back out there so soon, if at all. :D Treasure takes imagination, I'm glad you joined me. I walked a little further....found large grape vines, what I believe is some sort of hunting contraption. :-\ < nor more evil signs. :wink: So I am looking forward to getting back out there to hunt that old road. Probably nothing there, but I'll give it the old college try. :)

So what I now know is....please do be careful, I would have never thought of a trap out there. One of those old leg traps burried in leaves? I know there are allot of folks that hunt the woods, so use a little it more caution in the safe spots. :-[

I learned about different ideas, some with as much imagination. :wink: I learned about hunting, trapping, all sorts of thhings about different feathers. :D I learned more about indian culture, and other things I had no desire to know about. :D

Thanks for backing me up, and coming along for the adventure. Maybe there is somethig out there besides a feather? :thumbsup:

Attachments

• old road 002.jpg
    old road 002.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 1,153
  • old road 001.jpg
    old road 001.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,139
  • old road 006.jpg
    old road 006.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,113
  • old road 004.jpg
    old road 004.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,096
  • old road 007.jpg
    old road 007.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,079
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Charlie, Burbon is, was, a great looking bird. Do you do the deed yourself, or drop him off for preperation?

My karma is shot all to h#ll, I'm afraid. Last year we butchered 19 chickens, three turkeys and six geese. (The four Boer goats we dropped of "on the hoof" at a rendering plant). We over-wintered 16 chickens and two turkeys, but I lost three chickens to raccoons in March.

Also took two whitetail bucks, one bow one gun.

We don't spend much on meat. Feed, fence, wire, minerals, hay, yes, but meat, no. Add in the barn, coop, tractor and maintenence and I'll about break even in the year 2058 I figure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back