Coolest wheatie ever ? ? ? ? ?

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped in a little corner lot that has only produced 1 coin in the past, a walker...go figure. Anyways get this nice deep coin tone, excitedly anticipating SOMETHING, instead get this...THING. I guess it's a wheatie, probably 1909-S VDB with my luck.

I assure you, this is actually a penny...held at the right angle old abe is actually visible, pretty sure I'm not going to get a date off this one.

Moral of the story is, next time you THINK you just dug a really screwed up coin remeber this little copper slug treasure and accept that YES, it can actully get worse.

Have fun :-)

Attachments

• b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 526
Upvote 0
OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And before anyone asks....

NO, I didn't nick this coin several THOUSAND times in the process of digging it out.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on your Wheatie...but I am sorry it came out as it did....

I can feel your pain...the church where we have our Boy Scout meetings...I have permission to detect...EVERY WHEATIE...there were 4 of them...that I pulled was so badly corroded...but I was able to make the date on 3 of the 4....one was 1927, 1945 and 1944 the last one is 194- something. But I never saw corroded wheaties as I did that day...because they were so corroded, I thought they were memorials at first...

Good luck on your next hunt,
Annmarie

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diamondjim said:
And before anyone asks....

NO, I didn't nick this coin several THOUSAND times in the process of digging it out.

Oh. . . ah, I forgot what I was going to ask ::)

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
Well i guess your wasn't a success if you didn't "stab" it with your diggin tool :D Thats what i do anyhow :tongue3:

OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann said:
Congrats on your Wheatie...but I am sorry it came out as it did....

I can feel your pain...the church where we have our Boy Scout meetings...I have permission to detect...EVERY WHEATIE...there were 4 of them...that I pulled was so badly corroded...but I was able to make the date on 3 of the 4....one was 1927, 1945 and 1944 the last one is 194- something. But I never saw corroded wheaties as I did that day...because they were so corroded, I thought they were memorials at first...

Good luck on your next hunt,
Annmarie

True, corroded coins can be bad...but this one has the most outstanding case of road rash I've ever seen, BOTH sides...this poor Abe was demolished THEN got lost. That blows...for Abe. No worries, he's got a new home now. Lots of bad stuff happens to coins because of ground conditions, I just like this one cause it went through the meat grinder before getting lost...something ELSE happened to this coin beyond just ground chemistry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread