Anyone have an opinion to share? HA, I know you do!

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received what appears to me to be a box of coins in a sealed box where each of the rolls had the appearance of having been searched. I know this topic has been covered before, ad nausiam, but for the first time I found myself having a change in opinion. An end of each roll was more loosely rolled than what I'm accustomed to and was easily unrolled. While this has no actual bearing on whether the roll had been searched, it did turn out to be a skunk.

Previously, I didn't think it was possible for rolls that were turned in to be 'recapped' and stuck back in a box. At the bank I turn rolls into, which I have to do because there is only 1 coin machine in the area, they bust down the rolls either in the bank or have it done at the carrier vault with the count verified to ensure there isn't a roll or two that is full of foreign or quarters (they have told me this happens often enough that it's an issue).

So, what is your take? Please ignore the rolls that I searched and simply crimped the ends down. Do the other rolls look like they are machine rolled to you? Or somehow 'recapped' by hand or machine?

If they produced silver, I would be very happy to get more like them because of the ease of opening them.

Peace out!

Attachments

• coinssmall.jpg
    coinssmall.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know for sure, but...

The last box of halves that I searched through -- and was skunked on -- looked just like that. Each roll contained exactly four coins with the same mark on them, spaced out evenly in all of the rolls. The box even had a last name written on it in the color of the marks on the coins.

I'm thinking someone took the time to open the box ever so carefully, search through it, mark coins, re-roll, and put them back into the same box to dump. Then dumped that box on my pick-up bank.

I actually think that it was the guy who's box I dipped in to by accident, as mentioned in this thread of mine: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/291458-first-time-searching-halves.html

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
They have been machine rolled. They are Loomis rolls. From my experience, Loomis has the worst quality control. Loose rolls; short rolls; re-packed searched rolls (your top two); etc. Loomis blows.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I had a box from Garda not too long ago that looked like that, but it was one of my better producing boxes. It seems like sometimes they just aren't wrapping the rolls tightly.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I said something about this awhile back and got mixed answers, some flamming and what not, but this is what pisses me off and I'll leave a link to the vid at the risk of being flamed again, but again, I don't like this practice.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done good with boxes like that. just poor quality rolling.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past I rerolled my halves, hand crimped the ends and marked a line down the outside of the roll with a sharpie. My rerolls looked better than that. If one end of yours looked "good" then my vote goes for rerolled.

PS- Before anyone asks why I would reroll and crimp, the reason is nunya. And no that's not me in the video.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread