What's new

anyone have any ideas on this???

blugotti1

Bronze Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
1,141
Reaction score
924
Golden Thread
0
Location
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600., Garrett At pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dug it up tday..made of some type of glass,ceramic, or something...very solid. bout the size of a baseball..my friend found one something like this and he was told it was an old windmill ball bearing??? any ideas? thanks, David
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 799
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 921
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 937
Probably a Victorian era carpet ball. They were like giant pottery marbles, used in a variety of games. Many were highly decorated, but there were plain ones, too. A Google search on "carpet balls" should turn up plenty of information about them. Here's a start:


http://www.freewebs.com/bcbs1896/
 
Upvote 0
i didn't check it with my detector.but i did read that in the very early ages, they were used under heavy things to move something??
 
Upvote 0
Maybe an early billiard ball?

Scott
 
Upvote 0
David, It does appear it was used for that purpose. God Bless HH Chris
 
Upvote 0
Porcelain ball used to make a coating for porcelain signs. Dad use to work at a sign company and often brought those home to use to get the hens to stay on the nest and lay eggs. Dumb ole chickens! Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
Porcelain ball used to make a coating for porcelain signs. Dad use to work at a sign company and often brought those home to use to get the hens to stay on the nest and lay eggs. Dumb ole chickens! Monty
Monty, It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Upvote 0
I know what it is... I found one just like it... did you find it near a water treatment plant?


Chukers
 
Upvote 0
here a link to my thread... we had a big long discussion about it and I even made a video... check it out...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,326853.msg2371414.html#msg2371414

here is a picture of a lot of them!

Quote from "Burnt Chimney" It rolls around the bottom along with many others in a water treatment plant .
Here is a couple of mine , they keep the sludge broken up, they are discarded when they get to small.

Chukers
 

Attachments

  • balls.webp
    balls.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,097
  • balls.webp
    balls.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,088
Upvote 0
Could be but it also could be from a one way float valve. I see a wear line around the perimeter. I have also seen a ball like this on water-vacs.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with Rasputin, It is most likely a mill ball.
I have found hundreds over the years. Usually they are used to grind clay at pottery or brickyard.
But have many uses, as Monty stated in sign manufacture process is another use.
I have many sizes of those.
Cant say it is def. not a water treatment ball but would be less likely I think.
 
Upvote 0
jurrasic era jaw breakers
 
Upvote 0
I second Chuker.... possibly from water treatment. I had some of them when I was a kid, various sizes.
 
Upvote 0
Lakemonster said:
I second Chuker.... possibly from water treatment. I had some of them when I was a kid, various sizes.

I know it is... I found mine down stream 25 yards from a water treatment plant.

Chukers
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom