What's new

Anyone have this book?

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to enlarge my book collection on Indian Artifacts so I ordered this book and wanted to know if anybody else has it. If you do let me know if you like it. I havent got it yet but am waiting for it to come.
The title is...Flint Blades and Projectile Points of the North American Indians.
Its a hardback and it isnt new but I like the older ones better.
Thanks, rock
 
Upvote 0
Hi- Long time viewer first time poster on this forum. I have a copy of that book by Lawrence Tully and found it very informative. Lots of nice pictures- black and white- shown actual size along with typology, location and in a lot of cases the material used. If you are a collector in the mid-west, I think this book is a "must have". I have also been trying to build a decent library specific to my location- east central Wisconsin- and have been somewhat successful with a few left on my wish list. I am completely satisfied with this book and would recommend it to all on this forum. Is there a place here to discuss books like this or trade or swap for them?
 
Welcome tothe site and thank you for the response. So it is a mid west book?
 
I would say mostly- maybe. Lots of stuff from Oh., Il., Tn., and Ky. ( I guess Tn., Ky., and Oh. would not be considered part of the mid-west.) But there are some represented from Tx., N.M., Mo., In., Mi., Ark., Ala., Fl., Ms., N.C., Ga., and even Wi. I'm sure I've missed a couple of states but you'll have to see for yourself. I see you are from the Peach state, there is an unidentified (no data) point pictured page 80 out of Coweta Co., Ga. Maybe you'll know what it is.
 
Thanks I will look at that pg. You scared me for a min when you said it was a mid west book lol. I was looking for more ga, tn, and sc areas. Where I am it could go in any direction when trying to find a point or tool. Hopefully it will be here by Tues. I have somebody coming over with their collection for me to look at and it might help to have the book. What other books do you have? I like Lar Hothem and what he says when it comes to artifacts. He has some nice pictures in his books.
 
Other books I have? I think I have some of the standards- Lar Hothem's "Indian Artifacts- The Best of the Midwest" and his "Arrowheads & Projectile Points" (2008), Overstreet's "Indian Arrowheads" 10th edition, and of course "Flint Blades and Projectile Points of the North American Indian" by L. Tully. I also have "Indian Artifacts" by Virgil Y. Russel 7th printing, 1974, and "Early Archaic Projectile Points and Hunting Patterns in the Lower Illinois Valley" by Kubert Luchterhand, 1970. After that things start to get more local-
"The Antiquities of Wisconsin as Surveyed and Described" I. A. Lapham, 1855, reprinted,
"Preliminary Report on the Upper Mississippi Phase in Wisconsin" W. C. McKern, 1945,
"The Archeology of Carcajou Point" volumes one and two, Robert L. Hall, 1962,
"Indians of Wisconsin and the Surrounding Area" Allen S. Hanson, 1993,
"Prehistoric Tools, Points, & Arrowheads" Gary W. Henschel, 2006,
"Indian Culture and European Trade Goods", George Irving Quimby, 1966,
"The Woodland Indians of the Western Great Lakes", Robert E. and Pat Ritzenthaler, 1983,
"A Guide to Wisconsin Indian Projectile Point Types" R. Ritzenthaler, 1967, two copies,
"Prehistoric Indians of Wisconsin" R. Ritzenthaler, revised 1970, and
"Summary of the Archeology of Winnebago County, Wisconsin" 1903, Publius V. Lawson- This one gets real local.

On my wish list- "A Guide to Common Prehistoric Projectile Points in Wisconsin" Lynne G. Goldstein and Sannie K. Osborn, 1988, a 74 page pamphlet that I've seen priced at over $300 on line!! I can't imagine why.

If you can recommend anything I would be highly appreciative.
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
I wanted to enlarge my book collection on Indian Artifacts so I ordered this book and wanted to know if anybody else has it. If you do let me know if you like it. I havent got it yet but am waiting for it to come.
The title is...Flint Blades and Projectile Points of the North American Indians.
Its a hardback and it isnt new but I like the older ones better.
Thanks, rock

I have that book, and was very fortunate to have it given to me by the other. Lawrence Tully went by the name Red. Red was the guy who taught me how to hunt rocks went I first started. He owned the EE Curtis collection. Unfortunately it was dispersed upon his passing. Red's son took the pictures in the book.
 
I have that book, and was very fortunate to have it given to me by the other. Lawrence Tully went by the name Red. Red was the guy who taught me how to hunt rocks went I first started. He owned the EE Curtis collection. Unfortunately it was dispersed upon his passing. Red's son took the pictures in the book.
Cool! I am looking forward to getting it but viewed the delivery as being 3-1 to 3-18-13 dang I have to wait. I was hoping to get it sooner.
 
Here are some books dealing with only the area your are talking about.

Stone Age Spear and Arrow Points of the Midcontinental and Eastern United States.

Time Before History The Archeology of North Carolina

Story in Stone Flint Types of the Central and Southern U.S.

The Paleoindian and the Early Arcaic Southeast (This book is awesome and can't be beat)
The Paleoindian and Early Archaic Southeast: David G. Anderson, Kenneth E. Sassaman, Michael F. Johnson, Lisa D. O'Steen, Dena F. Dincauze, Larry R. Kimball, Boyce Driskell, R.J. Daniel Daniel, John S. Cable, James L. Michie, John B. Boster, Mark

I was wondering as to why some of the older copies cost more than the new ones? This is where I buy my books from. Maybe the older ones are hard copies?
 
Other books I have? I think I have some of the standards- Lar Hothem's "Indian Artifacts- The Best of the Midwest" and his "Arrowheads & Projectile Points" (2008), Overstreet's "Indian Arrowheads" 10th edition, and of course "Flint Blades and Projectile Points of the North American Indian" by L. Tully. I also have "Indian Artifacts" by Virgil Y. Russel 7th printing, 1974, and "Early Archaic Projectile Points and Hunting Patterns in the Lower Illinois Valley" by Kubert Luchterhand, 1970. After that things start to get more local-
"The Antiquities of Wisconsin as Surveyed and Described" I. A. Lapham, 1855, reprinted,
"Preliminary Report on the Upper Mississippi Phase in Wisconsin" W. C. McKern, 1945,
"The Archeology of Carcajou Point" volumes one and two, Robert L. Hall, 1962,
"Indians of Wisconsin and the Surrounding Area" Allen S. Hanson, 1993,
"Prehistoric Tools, Points, & Arrowheads" Gary W. Henschel, 2006,
"Indian Culture and European Trade Goods", George Irving Quimby, 1966,
"The Woodland Indians of the Western Great Lakes", Robert E. and Pat Ritzenthaler, 1983,
"A Guide to Wisconsin Indian Projectile Point Types" R. Ritzenthaler, 1967, two copies,
"Prehistoric Indians of Wisconsin" R. Ritzenthaler, revised 1970, and
"Summary of the Archeology of Winnebago County, Wisconsin" 1903, Publius V. Lawson- This one gets real local.

On my wish list- "A Guide to Common Prehistoric Projectile Points in Wisconsin" Lynne G. Goldstein and Sannie K. Osborn, 1988, a 74 page pamphlet that I've seen priced at over $300 on line!! I can't imagine why.

If you can recommend anything I would be highly appreciative.
These are the ones I have so far.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2815.webp
    100_2815.webp
    250.1 KB · Views: 100
I would think that the supply and demand of a book are what determines price. Supply would entail number of books printed, number still in existence, and the number actually on the market. Rarity will increase prices greatly. Combined with demand, this has caused some publications to be priced out of reach- at least for me. Hard cover books are generally more expensive than soft, particularly with new printings. Older books in this field can be difficult to come by and if you are looking for a specific area of expertise- harder still. I prefer to buy used in most cases and a lot of times you don't have a choice, being that what you want has been out of print for years. There are some companies that will "print on demand" but, depending on what you are looking for, they can be costly. I don't think I paid much more than $20 for my copy of L. Tully's book and today I saw one on line for $182 and another for $15. There are thousands of book sellers out there. Being a shrewd shopper will save you lots of money- Ebay, Shopgoodwill.com, CR, your local used book stores, a lucky yard sale, and library book sales are all worth checking out if you are looking to expand you book collection even further.
 
Last edited:
Here are some books dealing with only the area your are talking about.

Stone Age Spear and Arrow Points of the Midcontinental and Eastern United States.

Time Before History The Archeology of North Carolina

Story in Stone Flint Types of the Central and Southern U.S.

The Paleoindian and the Early Arcaic Southeast (This book is awesome and can't be beat)
http://www.amazon.com/Paleoindian-Early-Archaic-Southeast/dp/0817308350

This is one of the books you listed. It's ok. I do like the color pics of certain points. I know that sounds like a grade school comment, but color pics do help in flaking styles and recognizing them.

image-134807061.webp

This book is pretty good for anyone looking a rather brief summary of hunting artifacts and what one should have eyes set on.

image-1055959886.webp

Rock, if you would like to borrow these, I'd be glad to let you use them.
 
I was wondering as to why some of the older copies cost more than the new ones? This is where I buy my books from. Maybe the older ones are hard copies?

Some books are out of mint. This book is my holy grail.

image-3041322511.webp

The author, Wells, mentions in this book other books written by Judge John W. Tisdale. My dad was a friend of Judge Tisdale. Judge Tisdale's books were written in the early 50's and can't be found. I would pay a couple hundred bucks for the book that Tisdale wrote that focuses on the Occoneechees and their control of copper mines. It relates close to family land and the most fascinating tribe that I have yet to study. Tisdale spent his life studying these people and their power. They were powerful not through weapons but through their ability to communicate with so many other tribes. Their language allowed them control of trade for 500 miles in all directions.
 
Thats ok NC I wont need your books I am looking for my own to keep. Just the shipping on those would be about $12 or so. I can just about buy one for that price. I did see the Lar book I have for Paleo is running at $100 rite now. If I didnt like it so much I would sell it, lol. The Tully book I am waiting for was $18 with shipping and the ad says mint condition and it is a hard back book. It should be a nice ad to my collection. I just find so many different types of tools and artifacts it cant hurt to have different books to look at. No lie every site I go to there is a different type of tool that I find and a different flaking style. Its just amazing how many different types there are. Just in the fields I am hunting I have found all periods of peoples tools. Thanks for the offer though.
 
Thats ok NC I wont need your books I am looking for my own to keep. Just the shipping on those would be about $12 or so. I can just about buy one for that price. I did see the Lar book I have for Paleo is running at $100 rite now. If I didnt like it so much I would sell it, lol. The Tully book I am waiting for was $18 with shipping and the ad says mint condition and it is a hard back book. It should be a nice ad to my collection. I just find so many different types of tools and artifacts it cant hurt to have different books to look at. No lie every site I go to there is a different type of tool that I find and a different flaking style. Its just amazing how many different types there are. Just in the fields I am hunting I have found all periods of peoples tools. Thanks for the offer though.

Any time. Books hold more value in the info. they provide, as opposed to the net. Well... In my opinion. They are edited before being published and tangible. Can't mess with old school!
 
I am hoping it comes Friday. Thats neat that Twitch actually knew him.
 
Check these books out I brought this back for etn to see and look at.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom