What's new

Anyone in the Yuma area?

Idazona45

Greenie
Joined
Jan 28, 2026
Messages
15
Reaction score
51
Golden Thread
0
Location
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a lot in the Foothills neighborhood of Yuma. My folks have been wintering in Yuma for about 15 years now and have a nice home in the Foothills. I bought an empty lot next to them and will be there in March to add RV hookups.

My folks have a Jeep and love going out in the desert to explore old mines. They were just at the Big Iron mine yesterday. I was hoping to do some panning of dry washes in the area and was curious if there were any Yuma folks on here. My dad is a retired Chief of Police and a great guy full of energy. We've done the petrified wood search on the Army Proving Grounds, and poked around some old mines on the Barry Goldwater Range.

Hoping someone has a suggestion for an area that we might find some color.
20250119_115236.webp
 
I'm not from there, but spent a couple years during the mid 1990s calling on the American Girl Mine, just across the border in Winterhaven. The mine manager was a mine engineer at the mine I worked at in Colorado during the late 70s early 80s. Don't be out there during a sand storm. I got the paint on a 92' Chevy Lumina Euro Sport heavly pitted and the windshield looked like frosted glass after I was hit by one. Good thing it wasn't my car.

Gold prospecting near Winterhaven, California, centers on the historic TUMCO mining area (Gold Rock Ranch) in the Cargo Muchacho Mountains. This region offers opportunities for recreational metal detecting, dry washing, and exploring old mine sites, including quartz veins where gold has historically been found.
 
I bought a lot in the Foothills neighborhood of Yuma. My folks have been wintering in Yuma for about 15 years now and have a nice home in the Foothills. I bought an empty lot next to them and will be there in March to add RV hookups.

My folks have a Jeep and love going out in the desert to explore old mines. They were just at the Big Iron mine yesterday. I was hoping to do some panning of dry washes in the area and was curious if there were any Yuma folks on here. My dad is a retired Chief of Police and a great guy full of energy. We've done the petrified wood search on the Army Proving Grounds, and poked around some old mines on the Barry Goldwater Range.

Hoping someone has a suggestion for an area that we might find some color.View attachment 2242901
Maybe we could help one another. I presently have a 4x4 but do have some great unclaimed places to prospect. Send me a PM and maybe we could meet. I am in the East Valley. That's super far for you but if you ever come eastward let me know
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom