What's new

Looking for new friends to detect with in Upstate SC

kimballfount

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 25, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
My names Dustin, I've been into local history for while but I just recently got serious about detecting and LIDAR mapping. I have found a few cool relics by visiting local parks with the kids (not a single quarter left) and a few friends have let me search their large lots. I have a few very interesting sites mapped out, historically forgotten areas that I have found by cross referencing old maps archived at my library, with LIDAR images, and AI. Being a bit of a introvert I struggle with door knocking and cold calling for permission. The wife has zero interest so she's of little help. I've contemplated taking one of my kids to go with the "look at my cute kid who wants to learn history" approach while door knocking but it seems a bit sketchy, and their interest would dissolve within an hour. It would be nice to team up with a group or individual who is comfortable communicating well with older property owners, maybe we can scour these areas together. I do most of my searching in the Dark Corner area but if you're reasonably local and have some cool sites I'd be happy to check those out too. If you want to meet up and do some looking shoot me a message. Thanks for reading folks
 
Last edited:
My names Dustin...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: SOUTH CAROLINA for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
 
Welcome to Tnet .. .. .. .. :hello:
 
I would say that odds are a little better getting a permission if you have your child with you.
 
Welcome from North Carolina!

People are skeptical when a stranger walks up to their door these days. Talk to people at your church, parents of your kids' schoolmates, etc. Contacts this way are much more likely to get you in yards of the people you are talking to and their relatives and friends.
 
I would say that odds are a little better getting a permission if you have your child with you.
Yeah, I know I would be a lot more receptive if a father and son showed up randomly asking to search my property. My kids are 7 and 5 though, if I did get permission my window of searching would be limited to a single 30-45 minutes before I heard, "dad I want to go". At that point the window of opportunity to search the property would potentially be forever closed
 
Welcome from North Carolina!

People are skeptical when a stranger walks up to their door these days. Talk to people at your church, parents of your kids' schoolmates, etc. Contacts this way are much more likely to get you in yards of the people you are talking to and their relatives and friends.
Yeah, that seems to be the way I'm going to have to go about this. I've thought about printing out LIDAR images, and information about their property to give to whoever I ask.
 
Welcome !
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:
 
My names Dustin, I've been into local history for while but I just recently got serious about detecting and LIDAR mapping. I have found a few cool relics by visiting local parks with the kids (not a single quarter left) and a few friends have let me search their large lots. I have a few very interesting sites mapped out, historically forgotten areas that I have found by cross referencing old maps archived at my library, with LIDAR images, and AI. Being a bit of a introvert I struggle with door knocking and cold calling for permission. The wife has zero interest so she's of little help. I've contemplated taking one of my kids to go with the "look at my cute kid who wants to learn history" approach while door knocking but it seems a bit sketchy, and their interest would dissolve within an hour. It would be nice to team up with a group or individual who is comfortable communicating well with older property owners, maybe we can scour these areas together. I do most of my searching in the Dark Corner area but if you're reasonably local and have some cool sites I'd be happy to check those out too. If you want to meet up and do some looking shoot me a message. Thanks for reading folks
Hey Dustin,
I'm up in Gaston County. Not sure how far you are from me but I'm retired and always up for some detecting! Drop a line if your not to far! I also have a good buddy I go out with and probably closer to you. GL & HH!
 
Yeah man, thanks for reaching out. It's not too far, about an hour or so. Are there any good sites up your way?
Not sure if your replying to me but I have a few. At this time I'm just laying low cause of the heat. I've been wanting to hunt a park in Spartanburg close to my sons house if your interested?
 
Welcome to the Forum & Good Hunting !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom