Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saw this one for $26 plus shipping. I like the handle better than the wood straight hilt and the measurements continue on the handle to 10" for depth. Just curious about the metal.
217733-a1-lrg.jpg
Anyone own one? Or have something they use that's good?

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used one years ago..the wood handled one. Not using it anymore, I think I stopped using it when I got a Lesche.:icon_scratch:

I'm drooling over a Predator Model 31 Raptor, but at $70+ delivered I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Now that I am retired and hunt a lot more, I might give it a try.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a Raptor for a few years. It's good for soft or damp dirt, but hard or rocky ground......forget it.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Raptor for a few years. It's good for soft or damp dirt, but hard or rocky ground......forget it.

Around here we have a lot of nice black earth, especially in the parks. After a foot or so , then i hit the clay. In August the ground can get dry, but I imagine nothing like down south or out west.

I pulled the trigger last night and ordered one. All the reports I read on the web were positive. I plan on keeping the Lesche too, just another weapon in the detecting arsenal!

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Is there anything that holds up well in hard & rocky..? I'm feeling the need for a durable digger and where I play, it's mostly just that - hard & rocky.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Phantasman. In rocky soil leave the Raptor home. The Hori knife looks too much like an knife for me to carry. I've used the Lesche, Gator digger, 18" Lesche, Fiskars, Wilcox and Ironclad Viking and in rocky soils the Viking was (is) the best. I still carry it. The Wilcox is a close second. In soft soils the Lesche seems to do well and I like it because it is more precise than the Viking, but ONLY in soft soils or where I can rough out a plug with my Sampson. If I am in areas where I can't carry or need to use a shovel, I prefer the Viking hands down.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wooden handled Hori Hori was the best digger I had before getting my Lesche. I did find eventually though that the thick blade and lack of finger stop made long term use hard on my wrist. No complaints in that regard to the Lesche. Nothing wrong with a Hori Hori if it doesn't gimp your wrist up over time, at the end of long digs.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Initially, I liked the Hori Hori knives, but after about a year of use, they broke in two digging in hard pan. The blade just snapped about an inch from the handle on both knives. I now use the Lesche and haven't had that problem.....yet anyway!

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Phantasman. In rocky soil leave the Raptor home. The Hori knife looks too much like an knife for me to carry. I've used the Lesche, Gator digger, 18" Lesche, Fiskars, Wilcox and Ironclad Viking and in rocky soils the Viking was (is) the best. I still carry it. The Wilcox is a close second. In soft soils the Lesche seems to do well and I like it because it is more precise than the Viking, but ONLY in soft soils or where I can rough out a plug with my Sampson. If I am in areas where I can't carry or need to use a shovel, I prefer the Viking hands down.

Hey buddy. I'm glad you're enjoying that Viking. It IS the strongest digger made, but just a tad beasty for me :laughing7:. I finally gave up on the hori-hori idea and just ordered a Deteknix Diamond Digger from Wayne at Metal Detecting Stuff about an hour ago.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey buddy. I'm glad you're enjoying that Viking. It IS the strongest digger made, but just a tad beasty for me :laughing7:. I finally gave up on the hori-hori idea and just ordered a Deteknix Diamond Digger from Wayne at Metal Detecting Stuff about an hour ago.

Thanks-
Let us/me know how it goes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions