What's new

Anyone Recognize This? Coat of Arms?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this item this afternoon. It is brass, about the size of a quarter but twice as thick. It is hollowed out in the back and has two tabs for attaching it to something. It must have been attached to something iron based on the deposits still on the back.

The front has what appears to be a crudely engraved coat of arms with two dogs at the top and a four quadrant shield below. It is well worn but I can just make out the shield devices.

Anyone ever seen one like it? What could it have been attached to?
 

Attachments

  • 29 August 2010 025.webp
    29 August 2010 025.webp
    45.3 KB · Views: 467
  • 29 August 2010 030.webp
    29 August 2010 030.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 445
  • 29 August 2010 012.webp
    29 August 2010 012.webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 455
  • 29 August 2010 013.webp
    29 August 2010 013.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 466
  • 29 August 2010 009.webp
    29 August 2010 009.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 427
Could it be a bridal rosette Rome? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
Could it be a bridal rosette Rome? :dontknow:

Not sure...but I'm pretty sure it was attached to iron...
 
Upvote 0
Any chance that those are meant to be tulips in the four sections? The coat of arms type thing/rosette I found a couple years back had similar shapes which are meant to tulips from what I read.
 
Upvote 0
Tulips is what my wife thought as well. Certainly could be. I was thinking a little more esotericaly and was thinking they were the points of a disjointed maltese cross. Being that they are in seperate quadrants tulips makes more sense. But what are the circles below in each quadrant.

I guess it could be a local family crest so I'll have to do some checking on families in the area. I was hoping that it would be a crest of a known organization but that's not looking very likely.
 
Upvote 0
The dots remind me of when you see a flower in certain pieces of art, the stamen is sometimes depicted as just a dot and not actually connected to the flower. Keep us updated! :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
OK, believe it or not, they are not tulips... the symbols represent heraldic fur. The coat of arms is probably a checkerboard pattern of two of the fur "colors."
 

Attachments

  • furs.gif
    furs.gif
    182 KB · Views: 1,210
  • File:Tinctures.webp
    File:Tinctures.webp
    13 KB · Views: 365
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
OK, believe it or not, they are not tulips... the symbols represent heraldic fur. The coat of arms is probably a checkerboard pattern of two of the fur "colors."

Interesting bit of info...I love this site. The search narrows.
 
Upvote 0
This is what it really represents... ermine cloak worn by nobility. This one is Elizabeth II's coronation cloak.
 

Attachments

  • imgres.webp
    imgres.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 714
Upvote 0
I did some playing around with it...also sent it off to a friend of mine, hope to hear back tomorrow some time...
 

Attachments

  • crest.webp
    crest.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 268
Upvote 0
Looks like 4 Crowns to me.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom