Anyone suspect this?

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I've noticed at a couple banks when I ask for halves, that the tellers whisper to each other before one of them goes back to the vault to get them. I've never got any rolls with silver in them at these 2 banks, and I wonder if they give out searched rolls. Maybe they are trying to discourage people from this hobby? They always tell me they only have a few rolls, and one bank always only "has" 3 rolls to give me. No more, no less. ???

Needless to say, I'm not going back to those banks. :-\

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of times I have noticed this too Scott. When this happens I am thinking......of the next bank to go to.

boflexson

Jan 29, 2007
Green Bay, WI
The key is to finding a few good banks that are nice, and consistent.
I've got 2 so far. the others are flakey or have started to charge me for boxes.

One of the nice banks today started to get flakey today, went in to pick up my box that she said she would have for me today, and she asked (for the first time) do you have an account here, I replied with "I've been meaning to open one" so I opened a no minimum no fee account, and got my box, she's more than happy to give me my box a week, she just doesn't want heat from her boss.

-Adam

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I tell them as nice as possible if they get crabby about it that the banks that don't give me the halfs are the ones I return them too..... and apparently they like giving more then recieving. ;D Don't over do it with one bank either.... They WILL get pissed at you. Just be upfront about it normal people don't order $2000 in halfs at a time so they have a good idea.

Also sorry to say it but banks with old women foil me every time. I always go for the younger tellers. One bank where I got coins before had 2 tellers, one younger girl that helped me before and some old grey haired lady. I went to the younger one asking for halfs she said sure just like the last time, but that old woman made it a point to stop her and sure enough.....she didnt go to the vault and came back and asked me if I had an account. You could tell she was kinda embarrassed.
And then one branch of my bank had 2 of those old wolves working there....Ofcorse like most of them it seems they were rude when I asked for coins. And apparently they "roll there own coin" Even though none of the other 7 branches do that. When I asked if they had any large dollars she said "no....I haven't seen one of those in years" I said "Thats funny... I get like 4 or 5 each from banks in this area consistently and I just got some today" She said "well share some with me!!" I told her sure I'd sell them for 3 bucks each....she just laughed at me. #$@%!! Sorry.... had to vent....had some bad experiences lately with that...... they make me mad.

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
I get a kick out of reading this stuff. Some of the bank employees Ive ran into
are just hideous examples of humans LOL. I laugh every time I come across one of
those old coots.

One time, a younger teller was going to retrieve my half rolls from the vault teller, when
out of nowhere, an older lady scurries in, and busts up the action. She says.." I can only
sell you 3 rolls." I guess they dont want to run out !! LMAO.

Another time, when returning to a Branch I have accounts with, that was out of town, and
new to me - the teller says " Where did you get all those ???" I replied that I order from
various sources, to fill collections, put sets together... your basic coin collector stuff. She looked
me straight in the eye, with an 80 I.Q. smirk and a tilted head, and said " But Why ? " I just
shrugged and laughed haha. Derrrrrrrrr.

Since then, these places receive PLENTY of return boxes. They wont run out any more, now will they !
/evil laugh.

Happy Searchin'

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
Raptor686 said:
I get a kick out of reading this stuff. Some of the bank employees Ive ran into
are just hideous examples of humans LOL. I laugh every time I come across one of
those old coots.

One time, a younger teller was going to retrieve my half rolls from the vault teller, when
out of nowhere, an older lady scurries in, and busts up the action. She says.." I can only
sell you 3 rolls." I guess they dont want to run out !! LMAO.

Another time, when returning to a Branch I have accounts with, that was out of town, and
new to me - the teller says " Where did you get all those ???" I replied that I order from
various sources, to fill collections, put sets together... your basic coin collector stuff. She looked
me straight in the eye, with an 80 I.Q. smirk and a tilted head, and said " But Why ? " I just
shrugged and laughed haha. Derrrrrrrrr.

Since then, these places receive PLENTY of return boxes. They wont run out any more, now will they !
/evil laugh.

Happy Searchin'
To raptor686:Have you ever had to pay a fee to return a box(es)?

I've read of other guys on here who say they use the banks with rude tellers or who won't order them boxes to dump all there rejects at.Which in theory sounds like a great plan,but when I tried it at 2 different banks they wouldn't accept them because they said to accept that much coin would require a service/stocking and trucking fee!

My question is:Am I the only one unlucky enough to have this happen to me?

Or is this a common occurence and you guys just pay the fees as the cost of doing this hobby?

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I'm glad someone else agrees with me. However I'm sorry to hear its happening in other places. I don't want to be the jerk but it happens EVERY time! The one bank I dump my coins at the ladys are very nice. Show me pictures of their kids, talk about their dogs, what they are doing for the weekend. ONE TIME I went to the older grey haired lady that worked there because it was the second or 3rd time I had been to this bank. The only thing she said when I walked up to the counter was "ohh wonderful.." and was snotty the whole time. I'm thinking she must be new or been doing it for too long cause most say "hi" and "can I help you?" Although that was one of the reasons I decided to make that my dump bank. Let that lady look through clad.

I wish I could call and complain about those ladys going though all the coins and re-rolling them. But its just one branch.....it would probably do more harm for me then good.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yup...at one bank in town there are 5 tellers.....4 young sweet girls, but let "Old Blue" wait on you...and she is kinda bitter. ::)

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
schramm said:
Have you ever had to pay a fee to return a box(es)?

I've read of other guys on here who say they use the banks with rude tellers or who won't order them boxes to dump all there rejects at.Which in theory sounds like a great plan,but when I tried it at 2 different banks they wouldn't accept them because they said to accept that much coin would require a service/stocking and trucking fee!

My question is:Am I the only one unlucky enough to have this happen to me?

Or is this a common occurence and you guys just pay the fees as the cost of doing this hobby?

I have had banks try to charge fees. Only to get the coins though. I just tell them that I dump them at the banks that don't give them to me. I have not been to one bank around here that charges a fee for a member. They do charge for non members. If you do your banking there I would threaten to go somewhere else and hint that you will talk about your bad expierence with their bank. Chances are they will fold. Their buisness is built on public relations.

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
I have run into some older women like that. I think sometimes they are saving rolls for old men they know. Or many times they are too dam lazy to get up out of their seat and get the coins! These are the people that do the exact least amount of work at their job to still keep their job. One bank claims they cannot order halves, though at about 7 other branches I order them all the time. My regular bank near where I work is great. The asian woman will order all I want and I follow her into the vault, she opens the safe and I pick up the coins and carry them out. (This is not their main vault, but a little one in a seperate room through the safe deposit area, then through an additional locked door and safe, where they keep coins ). Still works out good for both of us.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the "whispering routine" happen one time. I went to a Wells Fargo one time, and the lady I talked to said they had $100 I could buy. When she go ready to go to get them another teller called her name to come over to her window. In their whispering I could hear "silver". My teller went in back and after a couple of minutes the other teller went in their. They were take an extraordinary long time, so I surmised they were going thru the rolls to pull out the silver. I went ahead and left before they returned as I did not want to be the dump for their roll hunting. First time at that bank, and needless to say last time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread