What's new

Appraisers

dave5710

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2010
Messages
615
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Last year one of my regular banks had an appraiser (on a Saturday) set up in their lobby and he would tell people what their coins and jewelry were worth. He would buy the items if the people were willing to sell. On my recent road trips, I saw handouts and posters in a couple of other banks. This guy is traveling quite a distance, and paying fair prices. One woman told me she got $5.50 for her 64's JFK.
Is anyone else seeing this type of thing? It just alerts tellers to be on the watch for coins to buy.
 
Upvote 0
dave5710 said:
Last year one of my regular banks had an appraiser (on a Saturday) set up in their lobby and he would tell people what their coins and jewelry were worth. He would buy the items if the people were willing to sell. On my recent road trips, I saw handouts and posters in a couple of other banks. This guy is traveling quite a distance, and paying fair prices. One woman told me she got $5.50 for her 64's JFK.
Is anyone else seeing this type of thing? It just alerts tellers to be on the watch for coins to buy.
Generally, I would avoid those traveling appraisers. If you really need the money fast, maybe.
You say the tellers in your area are buying coins also?
 
interesting . . .
nothing like that here in texas (yet)
 
I'm not looking to sell, I'm just saying this is bad for our hobby. This appraiser is paying decent prices, he isn't ripping people off, like the motel rooms guys do. His being in the bank will teach the tellers that they should be on the lookout for old coins. Which means that fewer oldies will be going into the mix.

Yes I'm sure some tellers set aside coins for themselves. But I bet most of the younger ones don't. It is sort of a new school vs. old school thing. I remember my folks saying "Take care of that, it might be worth something someday". I think the younger generation now has more important things to focus on than a few old coins. But if they see someone walk in with a baby food jar of old coins and leave with a fist full of $20's, they might start paying more attention.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom