Apush: I almost lost it . . . well, I did.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like one of my dump banks. Actually, most of the banks around town I have students that I taught over the years. In fact, I was dumping one afternoon a few weeks back and I received a call on my radio telling me to head back to school because there was an issue on one of the buses. I am standing there with half of my coins ready to dump in the coin machine--which meant I had to haul about 5 boxes back to the car. Just so happens that it was one of my former students helping me at the machine and she said she would finish for me. That afternoon, I brought her one of those fancy-smancy cupcakes and picked up my funds.

Last week, the same student along with a new teller (who was old enough to know better 60+) began to ask questions about my coins as the two were pulling bags off the counter. The first words out of her mouth was not hello, my name is so-and-so and it is nice to meet you, but do you "look for silver?" She kept on and on. I counted at least 8 questions and did not answer a single one. I tried to be busy and focus on what I was doing, but I had finally had enough and said, "I think it is highly inappropriate to discuss my finances with anyone other than my financial officer." "Do you ask these questions to everyone who deposits, say, 100 1$ bills?" "Do you ask those customers where in the world do they obtain all those dollar bills?" "How I obtain my money is my business and not up for casual conversation."

My former student did everything she could not to burst out laughing. That teller had gotten on this ol' gals "last nerve."

Well, perhaps I did lose it. :laughing7:

Thanks for listening to my rant.
apush

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
want to bet that the new teller is a "silver sniper"?.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you handled that very well, honestly. I usually try to ignore the questions as well. Actually, a tactic I find useful when the S word is uttered is to showing the nosy teller/manager a clipped planchet half. I say I am a collector and look for them. They usually loose interest after that and I have not been questioned since.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, chances are. But, she won't find any from my dumps. :thumbsup:

apush

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very well-thought out idea namster. I may borrow that one. Generally, I am very patient as I work with teenagers on a daily basis, but that teller really pushed way beyond the accepted norms of social society--at least in this neck of the woods. Guess her momma failed to send her to charm school or teach her the manners associated with being a proper lady.
apush

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great questions, I will have to remember to use something like that when they want to know why I want $20 in cents. Something like, do you ask other customers why they want 5 Twenties when the cash in a hundred? Do ask your customers why the want Tens instead of Twenties? Or.... do you really want to know or are you just wanting to ask me out?

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Banks are not really dumps are they? Do they have old bottles there?

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my favorite thing when i bring in rolled halves is when i can hear a teller or someone in line say "oh look at all those half dollars i'm gonna buy them theres probably silver in there". Then when the teller asks me i act totally clueless about silver.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:) Diver_Down

apush

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: I felt you handled it well. You did & said nothing wrong. It was that tellers fault. When a teller starts to ask me questions, I tell them I'm a collector & I'm looking for a 2011 & now 2012 for my collection. That usually stops them from asking me any more questions. Some tellers want to show how much they know. I was at a bank last week & they had $460 in a shoe box. They told me that there was no silver in there as they cull all the silver when the coins come in. I gave them my standard answer above. When I got home & went thru the box, I found 4 40s 1/66 1/67 1/68 & 1/69.

HH

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
i tell them I'm massively OCD --and thus need to "count and sort coins " by date and mint marks , however once i finish sorting a batch I cash them in --and get a batch of new coins to sort --i tell them my "dream job' would to be a teller in a bank just like them , where I could get paid to count coins and sort money all day long - just like they do. -- that normally handles any attempts at "small talk" real well.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tellers ask me every day! I tell them i just do it as a hobby. And if they ask do you ever find any thing worth a lot of money. I tell them no. They just look at me like a a nut. I all ways say it keeps me busy.

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you handled that very well, honestly. I usually try to ignore the questions as well. Actually, a tactic I find useful when the S word is uttered is to showing the nosy teller/manager a clipped planchet half. I say I am a collector and look for them. They usually loose interest after that and I have not been questioned since.

I too have a couple error coins I carry around to show in case that question, What are you looking for?, arises. I try to be friendly as possible, so as not to jeorpardize my little hobby. They have the coins, I want em.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work Apush! sometimes people are to nosy for their own good. I just say I am filling up the set book for fun, most of them just leave it at that. I also do a good job of steering the conversation most of the time so its not about coins anyways.

HH
Bigheed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread