What's new

Are animals attracted to cache sites?

BennyV

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2021
Messages
1,688
Reaction score
2,875
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your experience are animals attracted to cache sites?

Not to dig them up or anything but sit on top of it.

My cousin thinks he found a site and there is always a deer sitting in the spot where he thinks it may be located. A jar of coins from his grandfather.
 
My cousin thinks he found a site and there is always a deer sitting in the spot where he thinks it may be located. A jar of coins from his grandfather.
There's only one way to find out.
 
Some beds are attractive.
Structure behind deer with a sightline (I consider it a vantage spot) the other direction allowing keeping tabs on usual traffic by sight AND scent. Thermals are factors. Predominant breeze/wind.
Often some overhead cover.
Cleared small area .
Raised body sized cleared areas.

The deer your cuz is eyeing can be moved off the spot!
In time it or another may be attracted to the bed again if remade as it was .

Is the deer there due to scent of coins? Interesting question.
I doubt it. If coins are found under it I'd sure be studying other beds in the area though!
Just noticed where a deer was by the pole barn (about touching it) and browsed a clump of second growth maple. It was smelling newer paint and metal and more.
Spotted another browsing by the road when I was out on an errand , near noon.
Maybe doe are nursing fawn(s) and need the energy during daylight. Water too probably.
 
There's a story of an old prospector, whos mule wondered off one morning. The old prospector went looking for it and saw it standing on a ledge high on a mountain side. When he caught up to his run away mule he saw that it was standing on a very rich outcrop of high-grade gold ore.
 
Last edited:
There's a story of an old the old prospector, whos mule wondered off one morning. The old prospector went looking for it and saw it standing on a ledge high on a mountain side. When he caught up to his run away mule he saw that it was standing on a very rich outcrop of high-grade gold ore.
Well I was expecting to read that it had fallen in the drink.
 
There's a story of an old the old prospector, whos mule wondered off one morning. The old prospector went looking for it and saw it standing on a ledge high on a mountain side. When he caught up to his run away mule he saw that it was standing on a very rich outcrop of high-grade gold ore.
There are actually several stories where animals have discovered ore and caches for their owner.
Animals in general can classify odors far beyond a human's capability.
 
There are actually several stories where animals have discovered ore and caches for their owner.
Animals in general can classify odors far beyond a human's capability.
My dog can certainly detect pee mail from 30 feet away.
 

Are animals attracted to cache sites?​


I'm an animal and YES I'm attracted to them...! There I was deep in a Tennessee woods and I eyeballed a small cave opening on another ridge across a deep gully.... Gotta go fix breakfast now got things to do.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom