Are old mining tailing fare game?

k28drgw

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go up to Silverton, CO tons and want to use my Goldhog sluice so bad on all the tailings piles I see.... Are they fare game to venture through? I know there are some that are still part of claims but how would one know and I'm so small time that I'm sure a shovel full of ten wouldn't even be noticed. My 6 yr old son is ready to "get the gold!"

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
alloy_ll I heard of the dangers of this also! Old mining ops weren't exactly safest places even to work..
I suspect if you remove material from tailings the EPA will come knocking at your door.

Send a small 30 gram sample to the address of a lab in Canada and have an ICP assay done, then you'll know to proceed or not.

Screenshot from 2022-01-15 23-12-00.png

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most claimed areas, the owners will tell you NO because of liability reasons plus it is their claim. See if you can find something on Bureau land that isn't claimed. But you can find some claim owners who might, if your small timing it or just find out where you can go where all the other weekend prospectors go.

OP
K

k28drgw

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect if you remove material from tailings the EPA will come knocking at your door.

Send a small 30 gram sample to the address of a lab in Canada and have an ICP assay done, then you'll know to proceed or not.

View attachment 2003791
Thanks for the information. I will for sure do more research on claims and areas to look at. For now I'll stick to the streams and natural areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread