Are these balls for playing a game ? Or?

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found these with the first one I remember being about 1986-89 and after that about one every 4 years
I have been told that they may a number of things
The last one I found(In front row on left) has a design like a 'Y" or more like a 3 tined fork (on BOTH sides)has changed my opinion (found about a year ago)
Can any body help me identify? they were found in the same field as points and scrapers.
Thanks for all your help

Attachments

• 100_4473.jpg
    100_4473.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 403
Upvote 0
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
this is an image taken to show the other side of the ball with the forked carving
these seem to be made from sandstone or some softer material,although not all the same material
once again, thanks for any help,steve

Attachments

• 100_4478.jpg
    100_4478.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 387

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think thet are to big for net weights ???? One looks like it has a turkey track etched into it. Its not for the chunky game , not cooking stones,.Geeez I have not idea but I would have loved to have found them. Cool. You will find out what they are on here before to long.
TnMountains

am-ark

Nov 30, 2008
Virginia
I also think they are net weights, I have seen some huge ones in my time, although whats throwing me off is the markings on some of them. I havent seen anything quite like it but Im sure someone will chime in thats seen them before. Great finds and congrats!!!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the help
I think I have about twice as many as the picture shows which I have found in the last twenty yrs or so
They all have a groove cut around them
Only the one has a turkey track carved which is carved on both sides
I appreciate all this info
this is a nice forum
I will try to post a few more pics
I am very curious about the one with the two turkey tracks on it
SB

One mans trash...

Mar 29, 2009
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
These are commonly taken to be bola stones, as in the hunting weapon. Some authorities concede that it can be hard to tell if any particular one was a bola stone or a net weight. I think a net weight it to easy to make much simpler by just notching a flat stone. Yours are by no means too large for either function. Bola stones are also made in different ways, but these are common. The Inuits, who were pretty much using them for birds, made spindle shaped weights. Experts notice if the groove was ground or pecked. These are from Uruguay. I just picked them because of the good images.
bola_uruguay1.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One mans trash... said:
These are commonly taken to be bola stones, as in the hunting weapon. Some authorities concede that it can be hard to tell if any particular one was a bola stone or a net weight. I think a net weight it to easy to make much simpler by just notching a flat stone. Yours are by no means too large for either function. Bola stones are also made in different ways, but these are common. The Inuits, who were pretty much using them for birds, made spindle shaped weights. Experts notice if the groove was ground or pecked. These are from Uruguay. I just picked them because of the good images.
bola_uruguay1.jpg
Bola weapons. Obvious turkey track on one. Wow.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
looks like the inside of an indian war club. they would lash that to leather braided, wrapped animal bone and then wrap the whole thing with leather.
extremely deadly.
I saw one on TV last week on some show comparing weapons to viking weapons

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread