What's new

Are these fossils?????

Bass2448

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2014
Messages
83
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
1
Location
Mississippi
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10008449_595882047152955_1891044130_n.webpIm not a fossil hunter by no means But I found these while I was out Metal Detecting.. What are they exactly..I Found them at the bottom of this cliff in the side of it..Thanks15130_701573926530014_569361255_n.webp1013215_701574229863317_988983155_n.webp1620880_701574763196597_1693842890_n.webp1625469_701575019863238_76350185_n.webp1653519_701574856529921_2118664456_n.webp1924444_701573823196691_472093719_n.webp1901233_701575486529858_70368905_n.webp
 
Last edited:
I'd say definitely, there's fella's on here who will know plenty about your finds. Nice!
 
Cool Finds! :icon_thumleft: Looks like you found some fossil oyster shells, and I believe those are some fossil Sand Shark teeth.
 
I think you're in cretaceous material.
Besides Goblin shark it looks like I see one of these also.

ForumRunner_20140330_075842.webp
 
Jackpot! I would dig and sift that area and find more like it. You will more than likely find all kinds of fossils. Keep posting!
 
Where are you digging?
 
can I come play in the dirt with you? Your dirt looks like it's a lot more fun.
 
Thanks for the info yall I dont really know anything about what I have here...Like I said I do a lot of metal detecting and happen to come across this spot here its at the very bottom of a bluff wall along the Tenn-Tom River there is about a 8 inch thick layer of this stuff.. There is a small water runoff beside this spot and thats where I picked the teeth up at there is quit a few of them there.. The other I guess is chunks of compressed shells and teeth I dug a chunk of it out of the bank but there seems to be a lot of it there still...I didnt know if I should break up the chunks or not so I havnt yet...Are these pretty common fossils would it be worth the time to gather all of this up like I said I normally dont look for this type of stuff..
 
They are obviously interesting, but common. You should collect them. Keep on the lookout for other weird fossils. In the formation you're digging in, there could be mosasaur or plesiosaur remains.
 
WOW keep digging in that layer they are fossils looks like MACKEREL SHARK PRE MEGALODON ERA and a EXOGYRA PONDEROSA OYSTER SHELL

Nice find
 
When im back over that way i'll round up a few more of them and post some pics...Should I break the chunks up to get the teeth and shells out or what???
 
That's up to you but I break up chunks of matrix all the time... I definitely would.
I might try to keep that one nicely visible tooth in a section of matrix undisturbed because its a nice display the way it is... As for the rest I'd split it up.
If you don't have anything like a sifting screen handy.. Bring something like a spaghetti strainer with you.. And scoop material from the water bottom and the edge of the bank into it and use the water to flush out the dirt ans sand.
 
Last edited:
This is one of my best spots looks pretty similar doesn't it.

ForumRunner_20140330_211649.webp
 
I've got some better pics of the area let me see if I still have them will post....





Any idea on who would purchase these..???
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom