are these scissors are old and what are these copper wedges?

sjb

Jul 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab X-Terra, Minelab Safari
It is hard to know if the scissors are old or just decayed..both? There is a great deal of excavating all over our town because of a train coming in, found them near the new track by an antique home.

and the other things, I can tell two are old nails, but I don't know what the copper wedges are. Any thoughts? Found on beach outside of Boston.

Attachments

• scissors.jpg
    scissors.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 371

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
sjb said:
and the other things, I can tell two are old nails, but I don't know what the copper wedges are. Any thoughts? Found on beach outside of Boston.
They look like parts of old brass nails or spikes. I found some tapered just like that (bottom) on the Treasure Beaches from shipwrecks.

Attachments

• old spikes.jpg
    old spikes.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 293
  • old spikes.jpg
    old spikes.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 287
Upvote 0

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some sort of old countersink device. The bottom of the large piece appears to precisely fit the top of the small piece. Hit the driver with the hammer to sink the lag below the wood surface. The hole the collapses around the spike and helps retain it in the wound longer. The widened section of the lag would also aid in retention.

Maybe used for fastening large pieces of rough wood together. The large object has been clearly hammered to the breaking point. The small object does appear to be some sort of spike.

Maybe you could look up the address of the old house it was near and get an idea of what went on during that period.

Just my thoughts. GL and HH

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread