What's new

Are we there yet?

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2010
Messages
1,984
Reaction score
483
Golden Thread
0
Location
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$25.34 this morning. It is taking every ounce of strength I have not to turn it all in.................

I don't have much but between CRH and buying silver(Not including Morgans and Slabbed ASE) I have over 214 oz.

Is now the time to pull the plug and work on my morgan collection or do I continue on? Any thoughts and suggestions
would be greatly appreciated. $25.00 was my magic number, now I am wondering if $30.00 might be the number.
 
Upvote 0
enamel7 said:
I'm confused. Morgans are 90% silver. ???

What Freedom was referring to is that Morgans are 90% silver. In each Morgan is .7734 troy ounces of silver. (Roughly, 3/4 of an ounce of silver in each Morgan).
 
Diver_Down said:
enamel7 said:
I'm confused. Morgans are 90% silver. ???

What Freedom was referring to is that Morgans are 90% silver. In each Morgan is .7734 troy ounces of silver. (Roughly, 3/4 of an ounce of silver in each Morgan).
I knew that. Just having a little brain fart! :help:
 
Wow, silver is now 20x face. Amazing run up yet again today.
 
Guess what? When you offer me $1000 face in giant treasure box for my gasoline, wisky, and gunpowder... I will hapily decline.. And around that time that silver is worthless, I will probably pirate the booty :)
Heck, that's if I can even remember what this life is all about, which is that money is only a means to an end.. So load up if you can
 
coinmojo said:
$28.06.......

I saw that. To think earlier this year I wasn't buying anything unless the price was under $15. I don't think anyone, here the last several years, expected this much of a gain in a single year. Funny thing is the higher it goes the more I get uneasy about selling.
 
$28.46 as of 7:00 this morning......

I am getting a bit skeered. I knew silver would go up in value but didn't expect it to go up this fast. :icon_scratch:

Earlier post said that the Asian market is driving up the cost of silver. Gold is over $1,420 at this time as well.
 
This is great because last Tuesday I picked up 20 Washington Quarter Silver State Proofs for $100.00 and wondered if silver was going to keep performing. Well, + $2.36 an ounce in a matter of a week is just fantastic.
 
Diversification is the key as far as I'm concerned. I buy 30% junk silver, 20% SE's, and 50% rounds and bars. The junk silver is nice for really small purchases (if it ever comes to that) and for sharing with people that I care about. Most kids have never seen a franklin, walker, or merc. And I'm not out much by giving a few away. I also stay away from anything over 10 ounces. Counterfeiting is a big concern these days. So I try to diversify in suppliers and sizes. If I get a dozen fake 1 ounce silver rounds then I'm not out much. If I get a fake 100 ounce bar then I'm out quite a bit of money. Instead of buying a 100 ounce bar I'd buy gold.
 
I also agree with Rich and AGCoinHunter about not buying collectibles. I know that many people like those types of coins. But I have no love for them personally. So I buy junk silver coins when I'm looking to expand my collection. I usually even shy away from the silver dollars unless I get a really good price on them.
 
mts said:
I also agree with Rich and AGCoinHunter about not buying collectibles. I know that many people like those types of coins. But I have no love for them personally. So I buy junk silver coins when I'm looking to expand my collection. I usually even shy away from the silver dollars unless I get a really good price on them.

Heh, you actually agreed with me about something... Thats a change.
 
AGCoinHunter said:
mts said:
I also agree with Rich and AGCoinHunter about not buying collectibles. I know that many people like those types of coins. But I have no love for them personally. So I buy junk silver coins when I'm looking to expand my collection. I usually even shy away from the silver dollars unless I get a really good price on them.

Heh, you actually agreed with me about something... Thats a change.

I probably agree with you on everything except for politics and the current state of the United States. Other than that, we could be best buds. :icon_thumleft:
 
mts said:
I also agree with Rich and AGCoinHunter about not buying collectibles. I know that many people like those types of coins. But I have no love for them personally. So I buy junk silver coins when I'm looking to expand my collection. I usually even shy away from the silver dollars unless I get a really good price on them.

In essence, Morgans are junk silver coins, more than 3/4 of an oz of silver in them. Your comment doesn't make much sense to me.
 
FreedomUIC said:
mts said:
I also agree with Rich and AGCoinHunter about not buying collectibles. I know that many people like those types of coins. But I have no love for them personally. So I buy junk silver coins when I'm looking to expand my collection. I usually even shy away from the silver dollars unless I get a really good price on them.

In essence, Morgans are junk silver coins, more than 3/4 of an oz of silver in them. Your comment doesn't make much sense to me.

They are 90% silver, but most coin dealers don't sell them for as cheap as halves, dimes and quarter junk silver. Usually the premium makes them not worth it in my opinion.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
FreedomUIC said:
mts said:
I also agree with Rich and AGCoinHunter about not buying collectibles. I know that many people like those types of coins. But I have no love for them personally. So I buy junk silver coins when I'm looking to expand my collection. I usually even shy away from the silver dollars unless I get a really good price on them.

In essence, Morgans are junk silver coins, more than 3/4 of an oz of silver in them. Your comment doesn't make much sense to me.

They are 90% silver, but most coin dealers don't sell them for as cheap as halves, dimes and quarter junk silver. Usually the premium makes them not worth it in my opinion.

Jim

Agreed. There is a small premium even on poor quality silver dollars that otherwise would just be considered "junk silver". If I can get them with very little premium and they are not completely worn then I will buy them. But I never want to pay a huge premium just for the sake of having collectibles. I'm not saying that you can't make good money doing that. It's just not something I'm interested in.

To me, "junk silver" are 90% silver coins that have no premium value over melt price. I don't consider a $20 AU Walking Liberty half to be "junk silver".
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom