Are we there yet?

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$25.34 this morning. It is taking every ounce of strength I have not to turn it all in.................

I don't have much but between CRH and buying silver(Not including Morgans and Slabbed ASE) I have over 214 oz.

Is now the time to pull the plug and work on my morgan collection or do I continue on? Any thoughts and suggestions
would be greatly appreciated. $25.00 was my magic number, now I am wondering if $30.00 might be the number.

Upvote 0

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Hey Freedom - I see we are both having the same thoughts :headbang: -

Maine_Jim

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
FreedomUIC said:
$25.34 this morning. It is taking every ounce of strength I have not to turn it all in.................

I don't have much but between CRH and buying silver(Not including Morgans and Slabbed ASE) I have over 214 oz.

Is now the time to pull the plug and work on my morgan collection or do I continue on? Any thoughts and suggestions
would be greatly appreciated. $25.00 was my magic number, now I am wondering if $30.00 might be the number.

Just got an email from APMEX with their new prices on pre-1933 gold. It went way down in price. They say they can sell it cheap because they just got a big hoard of it in.
I think they are selling it cheap because no one is buying. In a bad economy collectables lose value.
So if you are going to sell silver to buy collectable coins (silver or gold) you are just throwing your money away.
I'd get rid of 40's and trade up to 90's,and silver or gold eagles.
I don't own any collectable coins,but if I did,I'd get rid of them, like today.
Looks like gold is going to break a record today, and silver will reach a new high as well.
HH
Rich

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with Rich, if you sell get back into something more pure. Not talking 90% either. I personally am not selling anything right now because the way I look at it I might need these to put food on the table when the fiat collapses. I didnt get into this for quick money making, I got in to have a fall back when times get hard.

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
Just got an email from APMEX with their new prices on pre-1933 gold. It went way down in price. They say they can sell it cheap because they just got a big hoard of it in.
I think they are selling it cheap because no one is buying. In a bad economy collectables lose value.
So if you are going to sell silver to buy collectable coins (silver or gold) you are just throwing your money away.
Looks like gold is going to break a record today, and silver will reach a new high as well.
HH
Rich
I got the same email, Rich. While I may not buy the MS-64 gold, you can get Double eagles that hve been cleaned for $1427 or AU double Eagles for $1467, these have a melt value (with Gold @ 1348.80/oz) of $1304.96. Wish I had gotten more 2 years ago for $900.
Either gold or silver, I think it's hard to go wrong.

HH,
Legend

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
25.51 right now. I have more than 214 oz and I'm HOLDING!! If anything, sell 40's and buy pure. Like has been said, no sense buying 90's, .9999 is the way to go and get it in 10 oz. increments or smaller. Easier to get rid of should the time come. If silver was to get to $75 an ounce, just pretend here, how easy can you get rid of a 100 oz. bar at those prices?

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Do you remember the video that was posted in Los Angeles where groceries were being puchased with silver coin.
The store owner figured out the price per gram and then weighed the coins to get the dollar conversion total.
Needless to say the 1964 coins were worth more than the old mercury dimes and worn walkers.
Just something to think about.
HH
Rich

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will you all please put your seats in an upright position, fasten your seatbelts and turn off all electrical devices. Enjoy the flight! :icon_thumleft:

MauserMan

Jun 7, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
BH Tiv
Personally, I hope it goes back down to $15 an oz. so I can stock up. :-\

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MauserMan said:
Personally, I hope it goes back down to $15 an oz. so I can stock up. :-\

Here, here. I am afraid those days are long gone, but you never know.

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
If silver was to get to $75 an ounce, just pretend here, how easy can you get rid of a 100 oz. bar at those prices?

At $75 an ounce, it wouldn't be too hard to get the $1300 back that i paid for my 100oz bar :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my $75 an ounce statement is if you are saving/hoarding because you are a doomsdayer. You could buy a loaf of bread with a 1 ounce coin but the guy you are buying the bread from won't have change for a 100 ounce bar. Besides, if things got that bad, you don't want to be walking around with a hundred ouncer. ($1300 for a hundred ouncer sounds great now doesn't it? It would cost you more than twice that much now.)

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
my $75 an ounce statement is if you are saving/hoarding because you are a doomsdayer. You could buy a loaf of bread with a 1 ounce coin but the guy you are buying the bread from won't have change for a 100 ounce bar. Besides, if things got that bad, you don't want to be walking around with a hundred ouncer. ($1300 for a hundred ouncer sounds great now doesn't it? It would cost you more than twice that much now.)
I was just making a joke. Maybe I could buy a horse(s) with the 100oz bar. I have plenty of 1oz's for the bread, too. I hope it never comes to that, but you never know.

Legend

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you just gotta buy in denominations that suit your circumstances. If you hoard for when it hits the fan, get small denominations, if you just want silver to have it, get it in 50-pound blocks. ;D

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
FreedomUIC said:

HH
Rich

While I have decided to keep my stash for now, Morgan silver dollars are .7734 silver. I enjoy collecting Morgans coins as a hobby
and they also have the added benefit of the silver. I just bought a few 1921 Morgans @ 22 dollars a piece, didn't need them for
my collection as I already had them but they were priced almost at melt and they were B/U.

I CRH for a hobby and the silver. It become more burdensome when there was no silver being culled. It became a pain, Morgans on the other hand are beautiful coins and I can get quite a few different years at about the same or a little above Melt. Hell most of the Morgans I have bought over the past year in B/U I have profited on as I only paid roughly 15 -16 a piece. Now there are some Key dates that are another issue altogether... :laughing7:

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
enamel7 said:
I'm confused. Morgans are 90% silver. ???

1878 - 1921 Silver Morgan Dollar Value (United States)
U.S. MINT SPECIFICATIONS
Denomination: $1.00
Obverse Image: Lady Liberty
Reverse Image: Eagle holding arrows and olive branch
Metal Composition: 90% silver, 10% copper
Total Weight: 26.73 grams

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions