Rustynailsandscrews
Full Member
- #1
Thread Owner
This thread will probably not earn me a lot of fan fair because I freely admit to being a Pirate in the sense that I keep any and all finds with no effort what so ever to locate the owner as I am not a public servant in recovering lost valuables and returning them.
I will never make the Honorable mention board and very honestly would never even have the desire to.
I am a treasure hunter with a mind set of finders keepers.
I'm not a hug and kisses type of guy and do something for nothing.
I won't even search for a lost surveying stake without express written permission from the land owner that if I can recover the property markers, I have express written permission to detect their property and retain any finds.
In example, If you recover a gold or silver high school ring, why do some detectorist feel compelled to find the owner or if the owner is dead to give it back to their relatives ? 99% of the time you will not get a reward or even a thank you.
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is why would some detectorist just bust their ass to find the owner and get nothing for a nice find.
I know this, a couple of hundred bucks put's a big smile on my face when something is heading to the melt pot.
Last year, I received a phone for the only set of missing car keys in the snow. I told the caller it would cost $25.00 because she was close to me and I'll do you a favor.
That caller didn't want to spend $25.00 for me to search in 12" of snow.
She called a locksmith and she had a chip key and got a taste of his price to re chip her car.
She called me back in a half an hour and $25.00 was just fine to find her keys because the locksmith was way too expensive.
It was too late as I explained to her because I was snow blowing my driveway and she had better call the locksmith back.
Why do some detectorist feel like they are public servants to idiots and fools ?
If you find it, don't give it away and don't let people take advantage of you because you own equipment.
So fellow Pirates feel free to chime in if you dare.
I will never make the Honorable mention board and very honestly would never even have the desire to.
I am a treasure hunter with a mind set of finders keepers.
I'm not a hug and kisses type of guy and do something for nothing.
I won't even search for a lost surveying stake without express written permission from the land owner that if I can recover the property markers, I have express written permission to detect their property and retain any finds.
In example, If you recover a gold or silver high school ring, why do some detectorist feel compelled to find the owner or if the owner is dead to give it back to their relatives ? 99% of the time you will not get a reward or even a thank you.
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is why would some detectorist just bust their ass to find the owner and get nothing for a nice find.
I know this, a couple of hundred bucks put's a big smile on my face when something is heading to the melt pot.
Last year, I received a phone for the only set of missing car keys in the snow. I told the caller it would cost $25.00 because she was close to me and I'll do you a favor.
That caller didn't want to spend $25.00 for me to search in 12" of snow.
She called a locksmith and she had a chip key and got a taste of his price to re chip her car.
She called me back in a half an hour and $25.00 was just fine to find her keys because the locksmith was way too expensive.
It was too late as I explained to her because I was snow blowing my driveway and she had better call the locksmith back.
Why do some detectorist feel like they are public servants to idiots and fools ?
If you find it, don't give it away and don't let people take advantage of you because you own equipment.
So fellow Pirates feel free to chime in if you dare.

with very few exceptions.
still pissed about that.






