billjustbill
Bronze Member
- #1
Thread Owner
Following a monthly flea market, I went out detecting early this morning. The morning started out rather scarey with few dropped or shallow coins. After frustratingly finding only a few pennies, I walked up on a $10 Bill!!
But, my view of finding lost/dropped clad-coins is getting dimmer. Glancing at them as I poured today's finds in to my instant coffee jar and soapy water, I did recover 1-Power Pachinko Token, 16 quarters, 15 dimes, one nickel, and 12 pennies dated in the 70's that sounded like dimes. The trouble is that 95% of those coins were 3"-6" under the grass.
As I was walking my grid-work where the flea market vendors setup, one lone vendor and their camper trailer was getting ready to move on. He sold Harley-Davidson clothing, collectibles, and cycle stuff. He began to talk about the "Change" he had seen, since 2008.
He said, "Back in 2008, when gas started to go up, you couldn't find a new Harley, and people were paying $20,000 dollars all the way up to $50,000 plus for the 'Trikes'. Now that jobs have been drying up, the people who bought those big fancy new ones are now selling them because they don't have a steady paycheck to make the payments; the newspapers are full of 'em. Back in '08, we would sell at least $4,000 a weekend from Texas to Tennessee. It started dropping in 2009, but since the first of 2010, we're 70% off those numbers!!. I'll bet you're not finding much, are you?"
I replied, "No. You're right I'm not. The last two months, it really seems people are really watching their coins!!"
So, I'm asking how you see you coin finds going?
Bill
But, my view of finding lost/dropped clad-coins is getting dimmer. Glancing at them as I poured today's finds in to my instant coffee jar and soapy water, I did recover 1-Power Pachinko Token, 16 quarters, 15 dimes, one nickel, and 12 pennies dated in the 70's that sounded like dimes. The trouble is that 95% of those coins were 3"-6" under the grass.
As I was walking my grid-work where the flea market vendors setup, one lone vendor and their camper trailer was getting ready to move on. He sold Harley-Davidson clothing, collectibles, and cycle stuff. He began to talk about the "Change" he had seen, since 2008.
He said, "Back in 2008, when gas started to go up, you couldn't find a new Harley, and people were paying $20,000 dollars all the way up to $50,000 plus for the 'Trikes'. Now that jobs have been drying up, the people who bought those big fancy new ones are now selling them because they don't have a steady paycheck to make the payments; the newspapers are full of 'em. Back in '08, we would sell at least $4,000 a weekend from Texas to Tennessee. It started dropping in 2009, but since the first of 2010, we're 70% off those numbers!!. I'll bet you're not finding much, are you?"
I replied, "No. You're right I'm not. The last two months, it really seems people are really watching their coins!!"
So, I'm asking how you see you coin finds going?
Bill
Dd60
the last time i did a 4 hour dig i payed, and just how old are you ? Most the land out here on the Northfork is ruled Historical land at least 80% that goes back to 1617 and no one is allowed to MD it to my disappointment , the only places i can hunt are town woods and farmers fields where i do find some really good items that i get permission to schools parks and this year the ocean beaches etc. Dd60
-- thats why you can notch "cut" out the zinc "cents" and still get the copper --"wheat cents" but be warned *** indain head cents -- normally ring up in the "zinc cent" range






