Are you ready for the switch to DTV?

S

Smee

Like it or not, those of us in rural areas or those in town --- without a DTV antenna and receiver --- are in for a change in the coming DAYS. Of course, it you have satellite or cable, it won't matter. But for the rest of us . . . change is coming FAST!

In just a few days, your analog receiver will no longer be able to receive programs. Not because its broken, not because your antenna isn't big enough, not for any reason over which you have control.

Yeah, you can buy a digital convertor box . . . and yes, Uncle Sam will help with SOME of the cost . . . but did you ask for it?

dtv.gov explains why we are having to switch:

An important benefit of the switch to all-digital broadcasting is that it will free up parts of the valuable broadcast spectrum for public safety communications (such as police, fire departments, and rescue squads). Also, some of the spectrum will be auctioned to companies that will be able to provide consumers with more advanced wireless services (such as wireless broadband).

So, the switch is to free up that broadcast spectrum for "public safety communications" --- wouldn't that have been better served with a conversion to digital, since they are regulated by the government?

The switch is also supposed to allow for "advanced wireless services". Those are nice, but why this portion of the broadcast spectrum?

I've heard some complain about the government assistance for purchasing the convertor boxes. One commentator said: "They've had several years to purchase the new television sets, and yet we're going to bail them out by paying for these convertor boxes?"

LISTEN RUSH AND THE REST OF THE WHINERS: If you want the extra bandwidth, you have to pay for it. If you take away something I have paid for in order to benefit yourself, you should have to compensate me. When I purchased my analog TV, there were NO digital models available. Of course, I would be willing to accept a new 60" LCD or Plasma as a replacement if you're willing to do so. Otherwise, you're getting what you asked for.

Well . . . tell me where I'm wrong.

I was happy with the old television broadcasts. My television works fine TODAY. In a few days, it won't. Folks here in the rurals don't get good reception now, but with digital, they will probably get NONE because of the digital cliff.

The digital cliff? Let me explain. With digital, it is all or nothing. Those who were on the fringe from the old stations, will not be able to view the new digital television. It won't be a perfect picture, so they will get NO picture.

One question I have:

According to some folks, the reason the digital boxes show voltage on the ANTENNA side (The side that is supposed to RECEIVE the signal) is because of a low power two way communication between your set and the television station. Does anyone here know the facts about this, because I am really curious. I don't need to tell anyone what I watch, I don't need my television telling them where I live. That just seems a little far fetched --- and if its true, a little spooky.

To your post title, we don't have a choice. To your concern about returned data, yeah I'm freakin' out too.

Local pirate stations coming soon? Hopefully.

I have cable, so the box already tells them what I'm watching on the primary unit. Not what I'm watching on my own taps to it. And having only older sets in good condition I'm comfortable.

Happy telecommunicating with the Feds people!

Oh yeah, opening up the bandwidth for emergency services, they have plenty already dedicated and room to grow. Why would they want these lower, older freqs. these days anyway?

I'm guessing I'm not ready.. ??? ;D

Attachments

• ant.jpg
    ant.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 164
Yes there are "Issues" with Digital over the air transmissions and yes you do have it correct, you will be limited by the reception and how far it will go. I'm not saying its the best solution to this issue but it's been years since they put up HDTV, Digital TV's.. Remember when Cars used to have carborators? Well they don't make those anymore either? Why you ask?? Well its more efficient. We live in an Ultimate "Efficient" society. I do think that opening up bandwidth to Police, Fire and Rescue is worth the change right there.. I've seen the issues that all the Public Safety have been having with crosstalk, bad transmissions etc.. I'd gladly give up Analog if its going to save lives.
JMHO

J2

You can watch almost everything over the internet these days. Might be preferable because it's on your schedule.

detector de metales said:
Yes there are "Issues" with Digital over the air transmissions and yes you do have it correct, you will be limited by the reception and how far it will go. I'm not saying its the best solution to this issue but it's been years since they put up HDTV, Digital TV's.. Remember when Cars used to have carborators? Well they don't make those anymore either? Why you ask?? Well its more efficient. We live in an Ultimate "Efficient" society. I do think that opening up bandwidth to Police, Fire and Rescue is worth the change right there.. I've seen the issues that all the Public Safety have been having with crosstalk, bad transmissions etc.. I'd gladly give up Analog if its going to save lives.
JMHO

J2
so does that mean that my analog 2 ways wont work :icon_scratch:
Im guessing they will be ok
I know that scanner are going digi

EDDE said:
detector de metales said:
JMHO

J2
so does that mean that my analog 2 ways wont work :icon_scratch:
Im guessing they will be ok
I know that scanner are going digi

Question .

I Know the scanners are going Digital.

Scanners handle Police, Fire & Ambulance.

since they are all going Digital,

Why do they need the Analog freed up for them ?

jeff of pa said:
Question .

I Know the scanners are going Digital.

Scanners handle Police, Fire & Ambulance.

since they are all going Digital,

Why do they need the Analog freed up for them ?

Watch out! Remember, we're supposed to be cattle . . . MOOO!!!

We're not supposed to remember that Digital uses less bandwidth, and that they could have moved those services into the narrow band that digital TV is now.

It's business. I can't sell you a new digital TV that costs 2-3 times as much as a convention television unless I make your old television obsolete.

The old sets had a life expectancy of 10+ years, digital - 3 years according to one of our vendors. If we can sell you 3 sets in 10 years, we make more money than if we only sell you one every 10 years.

BTW, I do sell televisions. Does anyone want to buy one?

We are using LCD computer monitors at work that have a 2001 date on them. They are just as bright today as they were when we bought them. I don't see televisions being that much different. I expect to get at least 10 years out of my plasma easy. I also like the HD television, so I like the change.

Besides, I will either have cable or satellite wherever I live. I can't go back to using an antenna again.

ROFLMAO :D :D :D :D
Dosn't surprise me :D

Next Headline in June.

U.S. Cancels Digital TV Switch.

Digital Converter Buy Back being considered

:D :D :D :D

Well, I 'was' on rabbit ears. But since I'm forced to upgrade the antenna (the digital signal sometimes falls out), I'm going all out, putting a huge antenna high up on the roof of my house, and at the same time, hopefully I'll pick up some stations from some neighboring citys, adding some channels). So far, I'm at around $300 for the whole conversion. And I never got my government assistance. The charge never came.

Oddly, I remember the gov. guy telling us that if it didn't come, have a neighbor that doesnt need it, apply for it and give it to you.... Isn't that fruad?

-Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back