What's new

Are you scared of your microwave?

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
2,069
Reaction score
169
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not.

but I am on a few farming sites where mainly we chat about scratch cooking and raising our own food etc. type stuff.......and it is amazing how many are scared to death to use a microwave.

I know it is not tops for cooking etc....but like, who doesn't use one for a small heat up or something?


are ya scared? really scared? Is there microwave research out there to prove it is going to kill me anytime soon?
 
There is nothing to be afraid of..... I've used them for decades, even sat on them while waiting for my meal to finish :tongue3: Although about months ago I have noticed my urine glows :icon_scratch: :laughing7:
 
ah, heck that is from the cheap liquor :laughing9: :laughing9:
 
never was till I realized Mine is Blowing air from the front.

not sure if this is normal or if the Seal has started to leak.

now I turn it on & walk away, Instead of standing there
waiting for it to finish.
 
Jeff, if it's blowing out air like a sieve, then use it to heat your house :tongue3:
 
spartacus53 said:
Jeff, if it's blowing out air like a sieve, then use it to heat your house :tongue3:

:laughing7: Great Idea :thumbsup:

the worlds First Nuclear House :headbang:
 
Actually, the newer microwaves are FAR better than their predecessors. You can actually cook in them. Mine isn't a top-of-the-line model but yet I can put in a bag of popcorn, hit the popcorn button and start. Doesn't matter what size or brand bag it is, the microwave has a moisture sensor and only cooks until it's done. No more burnt popcorn! Meats are thawed and cooked the same way. Fish cooks up GREAT in the microwave, even on the low-end models. You can place a trout, about 1/3 lb., on a plate and nuke it for 2 minutes on one side and 3 minutes on the other. You can cook it with butter, lemon and onions etc. if you want. No need to cover it. The trout meat will remain very moist and tasty and there aren't the real strong fish smells in the house. You may have to experiment a little due to varying wattage strengths of microwaves.
 
Not at all, Its low power and unless your inside of it your safe.

Unless you take it apart and aim the magnatron at your head :laughing7:

I would never use plastic or so called "microwave safe" plastic in it. The Government has no such designation.
The manufacture called it that to make folks think that plastic is safe in the microwave.

There has been many studies that prove that toxic levels of Bisphenol A is released and have caused
neurological and developmental damage in laboratory animals and some studies link it to human infants
and toddlers as well as testicular damage in adult men.

I would also avoid coated can food: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf201076f

Never drank plastic bottled water so never had to worry about that. (I don't like plastic)

I stick to glass or ceramics.

I would not fear a home microwave.

I would however fear what I used to heat my food up in.
 
Which one? I have 4. A microwave convection in my MH, Two mounted in the wall of my kitchen; a microwave convection and an inverter microwave. The small microwave is in the storage room.
The trick to cooking with a microwave is to use it enought to understand how it works. Some foods cook better at say 50% power and twice the listed time. All power consumed by the microwave is used to heat the moisture content of the food. It literally turns the moisture to steam. It doesn't heat the dish unless it is a special dish with a metalic content made for microwaves. I bake in those rubber like baking containers. Mine are red, but I have seen blue and brown versions. For cakes I use the convection option which works fairly well. My best one is the Sharps Carousel Convection microwave, Large one in kitchen and smaller one in MH. The big advantage of a microwave is it uses less electricy than an electric oven. I would estimate app. 1/3 of the power. Frank


Frankn


Posts: 2532





Detector used Detector(s) Used - XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

REPORT POST / Nominate For Banner 75.192.198.149
Re: Are you scared of your microwave?

Reply To This Topic #8 Posted Today at 08:48:55 AM

Quote Modify Remove


Which one? I have 4. A microwave convection in my MH, Two mounted in the wall of my kitchen; a microwave convection and an inverter microwave. The small microwave is in the storage room.
The trick to cooking with a microwave is to use it enought to understand how it works. Some foods cook better at say 50% power and twice the listed time. All power consumed by the microwave is used to heat the moisture content of the food. It literally turns the moisture to steam. It doesn't heat the dish unless it is a special dish with a metalic content made for microwaves. I bake in those rubber like baking containers. Mine are red, but I have seen blue and brown versions. For cakes I use the convection option which works fairly well. My best one is the Sharps Carousel Convection microwave, Large one in kitchen and smaller one in MH. The big advantage of a microwave is it uses less electricy than an electric oven. I would estimate app. 1/3 of the power. Frank
 
had an old 1 once and i kept gettin red marks on my gut frum standing in front of it. :dontknow:
 
You sure it wasn't from standing in front of it to often ! LOL Frank
 
Frankn said:
You sure it wasn't from standing in front of it to often ! LOL Frank
uuummm maybe ;D
 
::) No, but our cell phones are! :laughing9:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom