✅ SOLVED Arizona Relics - Need Some Help!

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found some more cool stuff, including a little train car made of lead I think, some more marbles ( a clay one and a solid black glass one), a sterling silver ring, missing its stone, some date nails, buckles, buttons, shotgun shells and so forth. Please let me know if you know anything about any of this stuff. I ask because it often surprises me how people can date some of this stuff and how old some of it turns out to be. So any info is much appreciated. And as before, the stuff next to the ruler is what Im mainly interested in, the other stuff is to show. The one tin thing you see there, along with the rustly bell looking thing next to it, are from Southern Pacific. You can see the SP name on the one piece. Does anybody know what this is? And what is that big rusty thing with the point on it?

DSC03087.jpg DSC03089.jpg DSC03091.jpg DSC03093.jpg DSC03094.jpg DSC03098.jpg DSC03101.jpg DSC03104.jpg

Date nails include a rough 1911, and nice 1916 and 1918. The little ones like this 1918 are very difficult to find in good shape. Usually they are so rusty and bent up they just disintegrate or you can barely read it. This one is nice and straight and easy to read, and a new year for me. And what an important year that was.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And does anyone know what that buckle is next to the Southern Pacific thing? It looks like it says "Pat. AP O? OR" but is a but worn and corroded, so its difficult to make out. It looks like a suspender or overall buckle or something like that to me, but I dont know.

Upvote 0

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....HI old Pueblo ,
I think the item with the metal strap is from a RR TORPEDO or EXPLOSIVE COMMUNICATION device strapped to the top of the rail and secured in position so the wheels would run over and detonate......Pre radio communication or distant light signaling.
These were arranged along the track to communicate to the engineer of any number of hazards ahead on the line without the area needing to be "manned". With usually an "opening salute", notifying the engineer to listen for a series of staccato , abbreviated and dedicated Morse code like explosions ....all in one breath to boot !
There were many connotations of this one time use device , all considered "class-C explosives" and were used from the mid 1800 through the 1970s. Many crews still carried them into the 1990s when they were painfully obsolete. Just as dangerous as TNT , they leaked the glycerin and became "shocky" and deadly.
The photo example is , I believe , the style yours was by the fastening bead , cir.1889 (or so).
Good photos and lighting , thanks,
Mark. 250px-Railroad_torpedo_with_lead_straps.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no idea, that is really cool. It makes sense it says S.P. Co. on it, since the railroad owned everything back then to keep their lines in operation. Thanks for the info, you have obviously done your homework.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
And does anyone know what that buckle is next to the Southern Pacific thing? It looks like it says "Pat. AP O? OR" but is a but worn and corroded, so its difficult to make out. It looks like a suspender or overall buckle or something like that to me, but I dont know.
I believe it says PAT APL'D FOR, or something very close to that.

Upvote 0

SkaBa

Jul 26, 2014
CenTex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The item above the SP piece is a modern era seal used on railway cars, shipping containers, tractor/trailers, etc.. There should be numbers/letters embossed on the strap.

Upvote 0

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some neat finds Old Pueblo! I really like that railroad passenger car too.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of the buckle-like objects (not the one marked PAT APL'D FOR) next to the SP Co. object is one piece of another of your finds... the object marked "President." Both are from President (brand) suspenders, patented by G.E. Adams on November 25th 1901. See the original-document 1901 US Patent diagram and an early-1900s advertisement for President suspenders (with BigCypressHunter's inserted closeup from the Patent diagram), below.

Attachments

• suspenders_patent-diagram_President-brand_1901.jpg
    suspenders_patent-diagram_President-brand_1901.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 80
  • suspenders_fullview_President-Suspenders_TN_postedbyBigCypressHunter.gif
    suspenders_fullview_President-Suspenders_TN_postedbyBigCypressHunter.gif
    124.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Forgot to mention in my previous reply, above... if I recall correctly, the cylindrical iron object with a long-ish pointed spike on the rounded end is the base for an emergency-warning flare. Tends to be found along railroad tracks because you would use the spike end to stick the flare into wood, such as a railroad crosstie.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The item above the SP piece is a modern era seal used on railway cars, shipping containers, tractor/trailers, etc.. There should be numbers/letters embossed on the strap.

Yes you're right, there are a bunch of numbers.

Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boxcar id tag, basically used to show if a car has been tampered with. (SPCO) artifact that is. They still use em today for grain cars boxcars etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to mention in my previous reply, above... if I recall correctly, the cylindrical iron object with a long-ish pointed spike on the rounded end is the base for an emergency-warning flare. Tends to be found along railroad tracks because you would use the spike end to stick the flare into wood, such as a railroad crosstie.

Sorry, I must have overlooked this response. Thank you very much. Thats really great, I was hoping somebody could identify that one. It looks like it could have some age on it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions