Arizona State Trust Land and Mining Claims

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently learned that some Arizona State Trust land has active mining claims on it. This was news to me. So, if one could get permission to metal detect on someone's mining claim, that is on Arizona State Trust land, they could metal detect! Today, I was detecting on mining claims on Arizona State Trust land, presumably, legally, with the claim owner's permission. In general, metal detecting is not allowed on Arizona State Trust land. Does anyone have any experience or history with this?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They aren't actually "mining claims" Ed but they work in a similar way. Arizona did allow mining claims on State land until 1984 - since then you've got to pay to play.

Where the State owns the minerals you have to apply for a prospecting permit for a parcel of land. The permit is something like a minimum $500 and it takes a while to process your application.

Once you have the permit you can metal detect, drill or dig on the parcels you have a permit for. If you find a deposit worth working you can apply for a mining permit, that's a little more complex but with enough money and time invested you could be awarded a mining lease. The leases start out with shorter periods at the start but can be renewed and extended extended quite a bit by the State as you develop your mine.

If the deposit is good and you mine it well both you and the State make out. The State gets a percentage of the minerals you extract as well as the lease fees. If it's not a good deposit or you don't mine well the State still makes out. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
E

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Clay for the explanation. I think the next step is a trip to the county recorder's office so I can understand the claim boundaries.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread