SeArkHunter

Greenie
Mar 19, 2018
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to this hobby, and I want to learn as much as I can about it, to include the laws surrounding the hobby. What are the things I should be researching in this regard? I know there are a lot of places that are off limits to hunting, but how do you go about finding out where those places are? What are the laws for hunting on Civil War battlefields and old encampments, for example?

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey where in Arkansas are you???....actual battlefields that are National park and state owned are off limits....encampments on private property are up to landowners permission.....around the battlefield on private land is good...either where they came toward or left afterwards.....parks, old homes, vacant lots, old churches are good as long as permission is granted from owner.....

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, I am in NW Arkansas. One law to know if that if you find something that is over 100 years old, you aren't supposed to keep it or take it out. Meaning, if you find a 1907 Indian head penny on the ground or in change, you can keep it, but if you detect and dig it, it's an artifact. I think that's a stupid law, but it is what it is. I forget things easily, so I probably slip up on that one occasionally... here are some links:

MDHTALK - Arkansas Metal Detecting Law & Regulations

https://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/metal-detecting-in-Arkansas.html

https://ozarksdetector.com/tag/arkansas-metal-detecting-laws/

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all, I am in NW Arkansas. One law to know if that if you find something that is over 100 years old, you aren't supposed to keep it or take it out. Meaning, if you find a 1907 Indian head penny on the ground or in change, you can keep it, but if you detect and dig it, it's an artifact. I think that's a stupid law, but it is what it is. I forget things easily, so I probably slip up on that one occasionally... here are some links:

MDHTALK - Arkansas Metal Detecting Law & Regulations

https://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/metal-detecting-in-Arkansas.html

https://ozarksdetector.com/tag/arkansas-metal-detecting-laws/

The "100" yr. claim is not accurate. You're quoting from ARPA. So that would only apply to federal land. Not other forms of land (state, county, city, private, etc....). If what you were saying is true, then there's no reason why it wouldn't apply to the other 49 states as well. It does not filter down to the other public levels.

As proof of this, all you need to do is look at the "Today's find" section of T'net. And you'll see NO SHORTAGE of show & tell coins, over 100 yrs. old, found in varieties of public land. Eg.: beaches, parks, schools, etc... So your 100 yr. thing for all public land in Arkansas is not accurate. I'm sure if you asked enough archies , that you might find a few who disagree. Ok, fine, don't ask bored purist archies silly questions, and you won't get silly answers. And let's be honest: Do you *really* think someone is following you around with a calculator doing the math on the ages of coins you find ? :/

As for the compendium links you give: Consider how they were compiled. The way a lot of those attempts were compiled is simple: They asked. Eg.: Sent out an email , or called someone (state parks headquarters, or county or city offices) and asked "Can we metal detect?" or "what are the laws concerning... ", etc... Who better to ask than the powers-that-be, eh ?

But here's where it gets odd : A lot of times, those questions got met with strange answers like "no d/t language about alter & deface". Or "No d/t language about harvest/remove" . So these answers made their way into these wonderful compendiums. When ... truth be told ..... metal detecting had never been an issue before. See how that works ?

So unless those dire sounding things in the compendiums can be backed up by actual hard & fast specific language that truly said "no md'ing", I would wonder whether it was just results of people, years/decades ago, that went swatting hornet's nests.

Just avoid obvious historic monuments.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SeArkHunter, are you still active on this site?
If you highlight a member's avatar it will show when they joined and when they last logged or when their known IPs were last registered on site.

SeArkHunter

Greenie · From Arkansas
Joined Mar 19, 2018
Last seen Sep 25, 2018

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread