Arkansas point identification?

gdrumm93

Greenie
Feb 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, this is my first post here. My little brother found this point on my family's property in Arkansas. Can anyone give us any insight on the age of this piece or who could have made this possibly? I also have what we believe to be an axe head (I can post pictures if anyone is interested). Thanks for looking!
arrowhead4.jpg arrowhead3.JPG arrowhead2.jpg

Upvote 0

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful find! Definitely post pictures of the axe. Everyone would like to see it.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find , maybe a Table Rock for the type ... just a guess tho I’m sure somebody from your area will chime in and help ID it

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard. There are so many types similar to that its kind of hard to narrow it down without more info. Is the base ground, which would mean the top edge would feel smooth. If ground it's most likely Archaic. If not then most likely Woodland.

Check out this link. This is a good site for ID's.

https://www.projectilepoints.net/

OP
OP
G

gdrumm93

Greenie
Feb 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard. There are so many types similar to that its kind of hard to narrow it down without more info. Is the base ground, which would mean the top edge would feel smooth. If ground it's most likely Archaic. If not then most likely Woodland.

The base meaning the part where it would have attached to the spear/arrow?

OP
OP
G

gdrumm93

Greenie
Feb 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback and comments! I'm sure my little brother will be happy to hear what you all have to say about it. One of the Table Rock points that I have seen online looks very similar to this one, but we're new to this so I don't have much to go off of. I have attached some pictures of the axe head. This was found in the 90's. axe1.JPG axe2.jpg axe3.jpg

OP
OP
G

gdrumm93

Greenie
Feb 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

By base, do you mean the part where it would have attached to the spear/arrow?

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the axe like thing is calcite, it wouldn't be hard enough to use as an axe without falling apart in one swing.

Moark

May 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I am and that's where both of these pieces were found. Are all of those axe heads?

Nope. Just a few blades of that material. I find that stuff all the way up into Missouri. I’ve got some nice heat treated pieces at the house. Deep red and pink. I’ll try and upload some pictures when I get home today

Moark

May 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks similar to a chert some call Mozarkite?

It’s not mozarkite. I’ve found it in ne Oklahoma and se Kansas too. As Far East as Springfield but once you get down to Fayetteville the material changes. All the streams south of Fay are that dark brown gritty sandstone looking stuff.

OP
OP
G

gdrumm93

Greenie
Feb 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. Just a few blades of that material. I find that stuff all the way up into Missouri. I’ve got some nice heat treated pieces at the house. Deep red and pink. I’ll try and upload some pictures when I get home today

Would it be safe to assume that the piece I posted the pictures of was an axe head or some kind of tool?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread