What's new

Arkansas point identification?

gdrumm93

Greenie
Joined
Feb 5, 2020
Messages
12
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, this is my first post here. My little brother found this point on my family's property in Arkansas. Can anyone give us any insight on the age of this piece or who could have made this possibly? I also have what we believe to be an axe head (I can post pictures if anyone is interested). Thanks for looking!
arrowhead4.webparrowhead3.webparrowhead2.webp
 
Upvote 0
Beautiful find! Definitely post pictures of the axe. Everyone would like to see it.
 
Great point, good eye!!
 
Nice point. By the way, welcome to the forum from North Carolina.
 
Nice find , maybe a Table Rock for the type ... just a guess tho I’m sure somebody from your area will chime in and help ID it
 
Welcome aboard. There are so many types similar to that its kind of hard to narrow it down without more info. Is the base ground, which would mean the top edge would feel smooth. If ground it's most likely Archaic. If not then most likely Woodland.

Check out this link. This is a good site for ID's.

https://www.projectilepoints.net/
 
Welcome aboard. There are so many types similar to that its kind of hard to narrow it down without more info. Is the base ground, which would mean the top edge would feel smooth. If ground it's most likely Archaic. If not then most likely Woodland.

Check out this link. This is a good site for ID's.

https://www.projectilepoints.net/

The base meaning the part where it would have attached to the spear/arrow?
 
Thanks for the feedback and comments! I'm sure my little brother will be happy to hear what you all have to say about it. One of the Table Rock points that I have seen online looks very similar to this one, but we're new to this so I don't have much to go off of. I have attached some pictures of the axe head. This was found in the 90's. axe1.webpaxe2.webpaxe3.webp
 
Welcome aboard. There are so many types similar to that its kind of hard to narrow it down without more info. Is the base ground, which would mean the top edge would feel smooth. If ground it's most likely Archaic. If not then most likely Woodland.

Check out this link. This is a good site for ID's.

https://www.projectilepoints.net/

By base, do you mean the part where it would have attached to the spear/arrow?
 
If the axe like thing is calcite, it wouldn't be hard enough to use as an axe without falling apart in one swing.
 
If the axe like thing is calcite, it wouldn't be hard enough to use as an axe without falling apart in one swing.

Not calcite. Just a local untreated chert.
 
Yes, that is the basal end or the base. The other end is normally referred to as the tip.

I'll see if I can look at it more closely at some point, thanks for the info.
 
Yes, I am and that's where both of these pieces were found. Are all of those axe heads?

Nope. Just a few blades of that material. I find that stuff all the way up into Missouri. I’ve got some nice heat treated pieces at the house. Deep red and pink. I’ll try and upload some pictures when I get home today
 
It looks similar to a chert some call Mozarkite?

It’s not mozarkite. I’ve found it in ne Oklahoma and se Kansas too. As Far East as Springfield but once you get down to Fayetteville the material changes. All the streams south of Fay are that dark brown gritty sandstone looking stuff.
 
Nope. Just a few blades of that material. I find that stuff all the way up into Missouri. I’ve got some nice heat treated pieces at the house. Deep red and pink. I’ll try and upload some pictures when I get home today

Would it be safe to assume that the piece I posted the pictures of was an axe head or some kind of tool?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom