Army Reserves vs. National Guard

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
Hello everyone. This is my first post in this area. I am going to join the military. I am tiredof wasting my life away in a dead end job. I am thinking of being an mp. I can't decide if I want to join the Army Reserves or the National Guard. I am wondering if any of you out there in TNET land could maybe give me your two cents on pros and cons of each of these branches. Thank you in advance.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the guard is a bit better.I have been deployed with Air Guard guys and they liked it. You can deploy when ever you want too but you have more say so in it. I would look into the Air Guard and don't forget the Coast Guard reserves as well. The Guard is attached to the state vs the reserves is the government. I was active Navy and then NR and now active AF. I can say being stuck in Iraq was much better then being on a ship hands down. I did 4 years on a ship and they can have that mess. :coffee2:

Navy pros .....see a lot of places at a fast pace.
Navy Cons... LONG HOURS ,poor treatment,watches ,uniforms,fire parties ,standing duty ,deck evolutions,food(all this is more active duty ship board stuff)

Air Force ...much better chow halls, better working hours ,better treatment

(you are going to be deployed overseas in every branch now a days)

The AF is better as far as treatment and living conditions goes then the ship board Navy that I was in.

I have not been a ground pounder (Army/Marines)so I can not speak for them. The military was and has been the best thing for me hands down. Good pay,traveling and making life long friends. :icon_thumright:

Down side ,you spend LOTS of time away from family....

The gold goose of it all is the active guard positions but they are hard to get but those guys have it made.

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I don't think it really matters- they are both good. My advice to people joining any branch of the armed forces is to be sure to get training in a job category that you can use to earn money in the civilian world. MP's are the Army police. When you are not active/drilling/etc, you could become employable as a city/county/state/etc cop.

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
If you have a high school diploma, I would highly recommend the Air Force.

Navy- You might get stuck on an aircraft carrier with 4,000 other dudes.

Marine Corp-First to die, every one is an infantryman.

Army-The second to die.

Coast Guard- Rescuing people during hurricanes is not smart.

ZJBarney

Jun 22, 2010
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Cutlass 2 umax
The reserves or guard aren't going to get you away from "wasting your life away in a dead end job." Active duty will guarantee benefits, pay and a roof over your head as long as you don't screw it up. Age limits for enlisting: Army - 42 Air Force - 27 Navy - 34 Marines - 28 but almost anything is waiverable. Military life can be rough on the family, but it does come with a sense of accomplishment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions