What's new

Arrogance in Native American Artifacts

tncreeker

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2011
Messages
329
Reaction score
114
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Arrogance can be sexy,,then it can turn to obnoxiosness. While most of us are on here to learn, and to enlighten ourselves, and to help/educate others. I think there are some that come here to "Feel important/feed their egos" We have a love/hate relationship with these people for a time,then it just turns to "Man,,why does he not just shut up?" As book/field educated as they are, they seem to never want to admit that maybe someone else is right and they just have not had experience with a certain item. The belittling, the intentional embarrasing, the name calling, the lack of respect that has been given to people that are knowlegable,,it`s so sad. I know so little compared to most of the people on here,,thats why I was here,,to learn. It has turned into a pissin match with the over educated. This is only my opinion,,but I feel bad for the people that get attacked. So anyway, I didn`t know where else to post my opinion. There wasn`t an opinion forum. I`m not calling anyone out, and I`m sure they wont see themselves in this post. I just needed to vent it anyway.

Thank you for your 2 minutes.
Lori
 
Makes you sick doesn't it........ Will never understand how belittling another person for no apparent reason other than to make yourself look superior works for some folks. Wears on me worse than any other issue on Tnet. I have frequently tried to nail a few of the offenders and finally come to the conclusion " YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID". I don't care how smart a person is on a particular subject, intentional belittling and attacking another person for making an error or asking a question that they may feel has been asked too often etc. shows nothing but a major flaw in the attackers character. I have also come to realize that many of these people truly have an inferiority complex that forces them to find that one arena where they feel they can show dominance. Many people soon realize how truly obnoxious they are and that that only the anonymity provided by the internet makes them brave enough to make those attacks when in reality you could not melt and pour them on a person in a face to face confrontation. It is obvious when you see these people who prefer to take a cheap shot rather than help educate or encourage other members that they are truly the ones who fall short in the big picture.

I guess we all need to vent a little now and then.:icon_thumleft:
 
tncreeker, point them out to me, I'll take care of them :laughing9: I'm so good they won't even realize I had them until a least a week later :tongue3:

P.S. I saw Little Big Man twice, so I am an expert in this field :icon_thumright:
 
I know quite a bit about a few things and a little about most things, but I've learned all that by knowing that i can be wrong occasionally (although rarely, and it's usually reality that has it all wrong :tongue3: ) That being said it does tick me off quite a bit when someone has an "I know more than you" attitude, even if they really do know more than me. I have dealt with it at work over and over and finally took the position of "let him knock it all over on himself and see how much he knows then".

There is no reason to act like that 99% of the time, I can understand getting fed up with someone or something, and I try, not always successfully to take a deep breath and a step back before I let my mouth get started, it's hard to do in person, but it should be easy on a forum where it actually takes a few minutes to type it out, and you get to look at it before you hit the button. Some people though I think just get a kick out of trying to look smarter than everyone else, those people are jerks, and they are probably pretty sad and lonely in their lives, so don't let them get to you.
 
I know quite a bit about a few things and a little about most things, but I've learned all that by knowing that i can be wrong occasionally (although rarely, and it's usually reality that has it all wrong :tongue3: )

I know what you mean... I was wrong once in 1975 and that time I thought I was wrong :laughing7:
 
Spartacus53 ....you were not wrong.....you were mistaken.

See...I saved your sparkling reputation.:icon_thumleft:
 
I dont know everything...but what I dont know isnt important. :laughing7:
 
Well, if it's any consolation, Indians run into this very same thing too. And when they run into it, they'll just drag their feet & not give up any details.
 
I am 70 years old, and have observed many things. One thing I have observed is the most competent people are the nicest.

People I have known personally, the super competent are almost always as pleasant as can be. They will happily teach anything they know to anyone willing to learn.

Examples I have not known personally include people like Norman Borlaug, the Nobel prize winner credited with saving a billion or more lives.

After he died, I was talking to people here in Mexico about him and most had never heard of him, though he did much of his work in the Valley of Mexico, east of the Federal District.

We went looking for some agricultural chemicals in a small village half an hour south of us. I mentioned Dr. Borlaug to the owner, who attended UNAM, and had worked with Dr. Borlaug. He said Dr. Borlaug was one of the nicest people he had ever met.

I could give more examples, but that would be excessive.
 
Well, to show you how *wrong* I can be at times...I actually came into this thread (Arrogance in Native American Artifacts) thinking I might see some pics of some Not-So-Humble Relics. lol

btw I found some kind of point/knife-tip/arrowhead today, woohoo!

enjoy the hunt,


cc tip-2.webptip-1.webp
 
I hope it isn't too arogant to tell you it is only a broken stone, Calvin. However it could have been broken by a dinosaur.
 
I hope it isn't too arogant to tell you it is only a broken stone, Calvin. However it could have been broken by a dinosaur.

Your speculation just might possibly be correct, good thing I love rocks too...It's an awfully sharp (and yet unfragmented or weathered) symmetrical stone. I could actually shave with it. That might be a good name for it...the shaving stone!

peace,
cc


---


broken-stone-2.webpbroken-stone-1.webp
 
The thing that puzzles me about this artifact is that unlike usual arrowhead & spear points I've seen, this piece doesn't have "flake" marks (where it was struck to shape it). It's also not particularly "pointy" at the end, which seems to me to indicate that it wasn't intended for killing anything. So, I'm wondering if it was possibly used to sharpen other implements? Is it made out of sandstone or something like that?
 
Xtina, I think the stone in question is actually a "Geofact" not an artifact. It's likely formed naturally. Of course I have no real knowledge to base that on other than comparisons i have seen in the past and would welcome any expert opinions.
 
A GEOFACT is the same as JAR or AFR, etc.

Just Another Rock (JAR)
 
The stone is harder then sandstone. And there is no flaking to show evidence of it being worked. It's crazy sharp, but not from fragmentation. I can't imagine the conditions that this was formed naturally but agree with the consensus...Just another rock, albeit an an unusual one to my eye.


enjoy the hunt,
cc
 
I agree tncreeker.
those who think that they know it all are irritating to those of us who really do!:thumbsup:
 
Calvin as for the rest of the talk on here I'm lost but then again I dont like to waste time mumbling. As for your stone It does look like some sort of a shaving tool, used to scrape hides. Except that they were napped out of very hard stone like flint or chirt. This lookds to be more of a soft type rock possible water washed to a sharp edge ? Just my 1 1/2 cents worth. : )
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom