Arrowhead hunting in Central New York

Tommy2

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2007
Well, I'm originally from Missouri and we're known for a high density of artifacts near the rivers. Ive recently moved to CNY and everything around here is named after Indian tribes so I knew they must have had decent Indian populations - but I sorta figured since the climate and snow is so harsh, that it was probaly sparce compared to the midwest. So arrowhead hunting hasn't been on my mind since coming here.

Anyways, theres a field behind my house and Ive seen the owner walking it before. I thought there was a chance he was searching..but figured he was just inspecting it or something.

Yesterday I see him go out there and ask if hes ever found any artifacts. He tells me hes an archeologist :o :o What are the odds of that???

He got pretty protective over it at that point - I was trying to make it perfectly clear that I would NEVER search on anyones private ground without permission. He said hes been the only one to hunt it and found many things.

I kinda hate when people get paranoid about stuff..but I dont blame him. Theres alot of people who do hunt grounds without permission.

We talked for a little bit..Just told him I had found one a couple years back in Missouri and my Dad has a collection of a couple dozen. He said he would maybe let me walk it with him sometime. I told him he could have anything I found. I could care less about the value of anything, or even keeping. Getting a picture with it is good enough for me.

So now Im anxious to find my own hunting spot! Anyone in Central New York? Where can I search? Am I pretty much limited to asking farmers?

Upvote 0

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Tommy2 said:
Well, I'm originally from Missouri and we're known for a high density of artifacts near the rivers. Ive recently moved to CNY and everything around here is named after Indian tribes so I knew they must have had decent Indian populations - but I sorta figured since the climate and snow is so harsh, that it was probaly sparce compared to the midwest. So arrowhead hunting hasn't been on my mind since coming here.

Anyways, theres a field behind my house and Ive seen the owner walking it before. I thought there was a chance he was searching..but figured he was just inspecting it or something.

Yesterday I see him go out there and ask if hes ever found any artifacts. He tells me hes an archeologist :o :o What are the odds of that???

He got pretty protective over it at that point - I was trying to make it perfectly clear that I would NEVER search on anyones private ground without permission. He said hes been the only one to hunt it and found many things.

I kinda hate when people get paranoid about stuff..but I dont blame him. Theres alot of people who do hunt grounds without permission.

We talked for a little bit..Just told him I had found one a couple years back in Missouri and my Dad has a collection of a couple dozen. He said he would maybe let me walk it with him sometime. I told him he could have anything I found. I could care less about the value of anything, or even keeping. Getting a picture with it is good enough for me.

So now Im anxious to find my own hunting spot! Anyone in Central New York? Where can I search? Am I pretty much limited to asking farmers?

I,d be askin them farmers,I,m not from New York. Some people like creek walkin.I,ve not had much luck at that. Busted my ass a time or two lol, found a few fossils and some snakes.I think I,ll stick to plowed farmland. creek beds after a rise in water have been good at times,construction sites close to water sources can be productive as well.

Good luck,we all need that

Jeff

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Where in CNY are you?

Have been on 3 archaeological digs in CNY and it's not common to find projectile points at all.

Lots of pottery shards and evidence of hunting camps or fishing camps.

The sites I know are a former fishing camp which is now a farm and the farmer had enough of people tromping thru his crops so he's hostile toward anyone on his property these days. Fair enough I'd say. He gave permission for the initial survey in the first place thinking there was possibly a small fishing camp on his property. Turns out it was a village site. So the excavation went on much further than expected and he had to give up a fair amount of crop while the dig progressed.

Also now of a fortified village which was a fascinating dig but which is now a housing development.

The other site has burials which were accidentally disturbed by an overzealous backhoe driver and the remains were reinterred in the same spot with a ceremonial preceedings by the local native elders. Luckily that site is wooded and although now part of another housing development, that particular area was left green and not disturbed.

So yes, there is a rich history of native americans in Central New York but as far as I'm concerned what's in the ground, should stay in the ground. Not be dug up and sent to a museum to go on display and then end up in basement storage for decades. Not to be dug up and cleaned up for sale on Ebay. And certainly not to have final resting places disturbed for the sake of real estate development.

However, if you are just walking along and find something on the surface....that's different.

OP
OP
T

Tommy2

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2007
Of course. Surface hunting is the only thing I would par-take in. I hate when archeologist dig up bones to make themselves famous. When civilizations obviously went through alot of trouble to bury people properly, Id want that to be respected.

Im right around Syracuse.

Are there any creeks/rivers that can be walked? I know creek hunting isnt as common around here. I guess theyre too muddy, not gravelly enough.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
You could always check out the river bed up in Pulaski. This time of year it's normally full of salmon fishermen and the town relies on their support via their spending a few bucks on food, gas, lodging, etc.

The water level is so low this year the salmon are not running like they normally do so no fish, no fishing.

Other than that I'd be careful about wandering around creek beds in Syracuse. Especially around Onondaga lake. While it's true that the surface waters are now clean, the creek beds and lower lake sediments are still chock a block full of poisons and contaminants.

Onondaga lake in Syracuse still holds it's place on the top 10 most polluted lakes in N. America list I do believe. Total and complete shame. Over time there were 3 amusement parks around that lake at the turn of the century. It has nice recreation trails and lots of picnicing. But no swimming is allowed and I think it's still posted that you aren't supposed to eat more than 1 fish per month if caught from the lake.

OP
OP
T

Tommy2

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2007
Yea..The lake isn't too bad anymore. I think they actually hold jet skit competitions in it.

Its a shame its so bad..This is a low populated area..I cant imagine how they let it get so bad.

Theres some creeks to the East of the city. I think Ill just go to a park and start walking the big creeks.

The Pulaski river is a great idea. Ill definitely try that. I drove by it last week. It was actually packed. Ill wait a few weeks. Let things cool down. Be less crowded, and less chance for bugs/snakes, etc.. Gonna get alot of rain ths week, so the water level may rise. Id like to go while its low though.

Anyone ever hunt arrowheads along the great lakes? Obviously, houses are built along the lakes in many areas, but theres also alot of parks, etc..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread