invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by the local history museum and the Curator hands me this artifact and note then asked if I know what it is. According to the note it was found near Dr. John Hole's water wheel building - which would date pre-1815 (that doesn't mean the artifact is that old). Not knowing how much has chipped away - I guessed it might be part of a clock movement or linkage given the appearance of the 2 ends. I added that I'd post it on TNet to see what IDs others have. Any ideas?

FYI: Dr. Hole served in the Revolutionary War as the personal physician and surgeon for Brigadier General Richard Montgomery.

Attachments

• 1_Measurement.jpg
    1_Measurement.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 2_Side view.jpg
    2_Side view.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 3_Blunt end.jpg
    3_Blunt end.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 4_Tip.jpg
    4_Tip.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 0_Note.jpg
    0_Note.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 60

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At only 4" in length, that would have to be a pretty small hammer. :icon_scratch:
I'd like to see a pic of the top of the piece, where the thin portion meets the larger metal portion.

I want to see how the two parts are connected... some electrolysis to the piece wouldn't hurt either. :laughing7:
Dave

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At only 4" in length, that would have to be a pretty small hammer. :icon_scratch:
I'd like to see a pic of the top of the piece, where the thin portion meets the larger metal portion.

I want to see how the two parts are connected... some electrolysis to the piece wouldn't hurt either. :laughing7:
Dave
Dave, 4" is its current length - who knows how much of the "handle" has chipped away. The soonest I'll be able to post a pic of the top is next Tuesday when the museum re-opens. Regarding electrolysis - I thought the same - but there is no way the staff would agree to that. They did agree to spraying some White Rain on it though.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, the possibility of it being a hammer is interesting. At the present time the big end only measures about 1" in length. So if that is nearly its original size - that would be pretty small. Maybe a toy hammer. Another angle is maybe it was used by a watchmaker or jeweler. My dad repaired watches in the late 1940s so I hoped to find a small hammer among his tools - but no dice. Today I'll be visiting a clock repair shop - so will show the pictures to the repairman there to see if he knows about it.

A Deidre Little still lives at the address appearing in the note. I'll attempt to borrow the artifact from the Curator next Tuesday and visit Mrs. Little to find out about how large is was when found, where the majority of the metal chipped away, the location where it was found, and what if anything was found nearby. Will post what I learn.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, I'm marking this as SOLVED. In addition to your help I spoke to the clock repairman yesterday - who agreed it was most likely some sort of hammer. Will inform the Curator. Thanks to all again! Happy holidays...

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread