What's new

Artifact or Geofact

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2016
Messages
1,044
Reaction score
4,257
Golden Thread
0
Location
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am posting this piece because it really has me puzzled. I am a metal detectorist as well as an artifact hunter. I do not sell. This is strictly for my research and collection.
I have collected many artifacts over the years and this one has me stumped,
What do you think?
Geofact or Artifact.
It just has many signs of being worked.
If you think it is Geo, please explain.
If you think it is artifact, please explain.
Thank you.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5344.webp
    IMG_5344.webp
    1 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5346.webp
    IMG_5346.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5345.webp
    IMG_5345.webp
    702.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5343.webp
    IMG_5343.webp
    779 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5342.webp
    IMG_5342.webp
    663.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5341.webp
    IMG_5341.webp
    2 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5340.webp
    IMG_5340.webp
    2.8 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5338.webp
    IMG_5338.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5339.webp
    IMG_5339.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
Maybe, but I'm more of the opinion it's a geofact. Not a lot I can see indicates it was ever altered or worked by the hand of man for any specific reason.
 
Last edited:
Sorry for the redundant post but I posted this in the general discussion forum but found the North American Indian Artifact Forum and figured I would get more hits here.
ANYWAY
I am posting this piece because it really has me puzzled. I am a metal detectorist as well as an artifact hunter. I do not sell. This is strictly for my research and collection.
I have collected many artifacts over the years and this one has me stumped,
What do you think?
Geofact or Artifact.
It just has many signs of being worked.
Symmetrical sides
Center beveling
Balanced
Hardstone
Pecking marks.
I am very open to all theories or discussions.
If you need better snapshots, let me know.
If you think it is Geo, please explain.
If you think it is artifact, please explain.
Thank you.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5344.webp
    IMG_5344.webp
    1 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5346.webp
    IMG_5346.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5347.webp
    IMG_5347.webp
    737 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5348.webp
    IMG_5348.webp
    522.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5345.webp
    IMG_5345.webp
    702.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5343.webp
    IMG_5343.webp
    779 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5342.webp
    IMG_5342.webp
    663.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5341.webp
    IMG_5341.webp
    2 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5340.webp
    IMG_5340.webp
    2.8 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5338.webp
    IMG_5338.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5339.webp
    IMG_5339.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
I’d lean toward geofact. I do see some scalloped edges though, that are intriguing. I just don’t see any conclusive evidence for an artifact.
 
I lean geofact too, I see some of the things you are looking at that are also attributes of artifacts. you mentioned hard stone and pecking but the characteristics are more of those from a chipped stone artifact and just looking at the piece overall I don’t see the purpose it would serve.
 
The first question to ask yourself is "tool for what"... Stone artifacts have modern day equivalents that are obvious. Your piece serves no obvious purpose. Add to that, it has no other examples like it in any lithic tool kit I am familiar with.
 
Interesting piece, but I have to agree it is a geofact.
 
The first question to ask yourself is "tool for what"... Stone artifacts have modern day equivalents that are obvious. Your piece serves no obvious purpose. Add to that, it has no other examples like it in any lithic tool kit I am familiar with.
At first when I looked at it I immediately felt it was just an interesting shaped rock. Then I took a second look and kinda saw what what Blacfoot58 is somewhat describing. Then I thought, maybe its a stone hoe, as in this link.
Though I'm pretty sure the general opinion will be, It's just a rock.
 
The first question to ask yourself is "tool for what"... Stone artifacts have modern day equivalents that are obvious. Your piece serves no obvious purpose. Add to that, it has no other examples like it in any lithic tool kit I am familiar with.
I was thinking some kind of a lithic hoe.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom