Artifact or rock?

two4hooking

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, last one...

This long stone was found along the Susquehanna river near a tributary entrance. I obviously know what the bottom one is and it is just in the picture for reference (and because I had them stored together).

The long stone is flat on both sides and each end is well rounded.

So....artifact or rock?

What does everyone think?

Greg

Upvote 0
The wear on the end in the last picture makes me believe it is a pestle. Nice find!

Looks good to me. Can you get some close ups in natural light? Might be able to see any grinding better.

Well could be a roller type pestle or could be a wet stone to for sharpening metal knifes.

Thanks. I'll try to get some better pictures of the ends out in the sun today..... My first thought was sharpening stone also but then I thought it may be older than that. It has some heft to it.

It was found in MD.

Thanks. I'll try to get some better pictures of the ends out in the sun today..... My first thought was sharpening stone also but then I thought it may be older than that. It has some heft to it.

It was found in MD.

It does resemble a pestle, with wear at the end shown. As far as "older" then a sharpening stone, they were used in all time periods. There would always have been a need to sharpen tools, and whetstones were for sharpening bits on hardstone tools primarily....

That flat end indicates it's could be a Salmon or fish packer. Just saw one and had it explained to me at a show in Owatonna minn. last weekend.

Awesome find ..... If you have time you should check out Indian steps museum ..... Not too far from you into PA... Well worth the trip. I grew up in rising sun hunting artifacts and had a lot of luck. A good friend of mine only hunts the Susquehanna and has found some incredible stuff. He spends a lot of time below the dam.

Thanks for adding the close ups. To me, it clearly looks man made, I have very little doubt of that. What a great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back