• CC5.Jpg
    CC5.Jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 497

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Re: Artifact Preservation 101, "running coins"

At the risk of sounding like an unknolegable bafoon....what is it you're doing there? What's the process called and what's involved. Also, what coins are you cleaning?

OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA

The electrolyte I am using is a mild soda ash solution mixed with water and some lemon juice.

I use a 12 volt - 3 amp power supply and then an old fashioned Variac to adjust the power downward - depending on how many coins we are running. More coins require more amperage and voltage but you have to be careful not to "push" or cook the coins with too much voltage.

I did this once {push} and made the mistake of using crome plated alligator clips made of copper and the coins ended up looking like an alligator bit them! I figured I could sell them to the guys that wore IZOG shirts back then!

The process is called electrostatic reductionand it is basically the reverse of the electric plating process but don't call it - reverse electrolosis... That would be growing hair!

A positive charge is run through - in this case a stailess steel bolt and the negetive charge is run through the coins. We haven't found any copper coins at our wreck site so I can't answer that question

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just out of curiosity, what is your "slow process" Grubstake? I have some silver coins from the beach but they pretty darn encrusted. Any help would be appreciated.

Buckleboy

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

The main advantage of electrolytic reduction is that it removes the salt chlorides from the metal and stabilizes the deterioration process (there are a number of additional steps that need to be done, esp. for artifacts)

I don't think nitric acid alone will do this-maybe just the surface corrosion.

When immersed in saltwater, silver turns to silver sulfide and iron turns to iron oxide (rust) and thus, the process that Capt. Dom illustrates with his pictures, electrolytic reduction, is the best way to thoroughly preserve the artifacts. This is how most of the professional conservators and museums do it.

Attachments

• cooking_cannonballs.jpg
    cooking_cannonballs.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 474

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread