ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Had to photograph a new process we developed here at work. It's a coating removal system that uses electrolytic reduction (just like we use for artifacts) and then electro-plating to replace the coating. The reason I'm posting the pics is because the setup would make a great coin preservation system as well. I'm gearing up to build my own system, and got some great ideas from this, so I thought I'd share.

The machine:
DSCN2057.JPG

The bath, it has a circulation and filtration system built in.
DSCN2060.JPG

Parts on the rack, 24 peices per rack electrified by a single source that is distributed to each piece through the rack itself.
DSCN2065.JPG

Testing Connections
DSCN2062.JPG

Loaded rack in solution being connected.
DSCN2068.JPG

Oh yeah, and did I mention it has an X-Ray machine to go along with it...I feel some late nights coming on...in the wrong department :D
DSCN2059.JPG

I wonder if they would miss this if I took it home...can I borrow a truck. ;)

Jason

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Jason,
those look like jet aircraft engine turbine blades. Am I right? If so, what are you coating them with? Carbide? I used to make those blades and then we sent them to Union Carbide for plasma spray coating.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Cool Machines. Can I have one too??? Maybe if we all pitch in, we can get one and keep it at Marc's or Jeff's house.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You are correct Pete, they are turbine blades. These are in for Platinum Aluminide coating, but we do plasma spray here as well. :) The final solution of this bath is $20,000 per 5 gallon bucket!!! Maybe hanging out in there after hours isn't a good idea afterall :D

J

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the best. Any idea where I could pick up one of those x-ray machines? Maybe a surplus one or at a garage sale. And while you are at it a set of blueprints and a parts list for the machine would make a great addition to my collection. Maybe you could open a branch office in Jupiter and I could just visit after hours and hang out and play with your toys.
Seahunter

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Scott, I'm trying to find one myself! One of our engineers sourced the X-Ray machine (XRF-80 I think) and claims it was under $7K (?!?), I'll forward the info on to you when I get it. Next year we'll be pulling up so many coins that we'll need the big electrolosis machine...and I guess we could gold plate the trash with it too! :D

I see you are working in a little deeper water than normal today. I hope the sea is a little more cooperative than yesterday...good luck!

Jason

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seahunter,

I have a working dental xray system in my shop,plus enough film and chemicals to last me several years

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread