Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends on the artifact and the extent and location of the crack.

I've been collecting early Bronze Age through late Roman pottery for 35 years. On pieces I've had with cracks, when the crack is stable I leave it alone. Tapping lightly on the piece with your finger will generally tell you if it's stable--you can hear when it's not. And if the crack is very small I also leave it as is.

When dealing with an unstable crack, that too depends on the crack and material the item is made from and the original construction method used when it was made. There's no one rule.

My only suggestion is if you ever plan on gluing a piece of historical pottery of any age, use an easily removed glue. Elmer's SCHOOL Glue is actually very good for this (NOT regular Elmer's Glue) because it dissolves easily in water. There's professional glues that are basically the same chemistry as the Elmer's but they're not practical to purchase if you're not planning on doing a lot of repairs.

When an unstable crack is large enough that it 'moves', you can use single-edge razor blades to carefully open up the crack ('open' does not mean you'll be able to see that it's more open, it should still look like a closed crack). Then you would inject the glue using a hypodermic needle. I do NOT recommend anyone do this unless they're experienced in these types of repairs--just informing you of possible methods to secure a crack. If you're unexperienced, you will almost certainly make it worse or even break it completely.

If it's an important piece, take it to a professional repairer. If it's stable, enjoy it as it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I think just not handling it, setting it on a stand is the way to go.

it's a stone Indian axe head with a hairline all around.

Not so much fun since it would be more fun to be able to pass this around and take it to show family, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread