What's new

Artillery Shell with WWI-Era Powder Train Time Fuse

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
4,476
Reaction score
12,338
Golden Thread
2
Location
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a suburban spring cleaning dumpster today, it's an old chrome plated artillery shell. Unscrewed the fuse and there was no explosive inside so it's completely harmless. I was thinking it may be a WWII shell but after a little research I discovered the fuse on it is a very old type patented during the Spanish American war in 1898 and used predominantly in World War One artillery shells. It is called a Powder Train Time Fuse, and it works exactly as it sounds - a train of gunpowder is ignited and burns through at a set time until it reaches the main charge and ignites it. Not sure if the fuse is original to the shell or not, it may have been added later, I also suspect the shell was chrome plated by someone and not its original color - I can't find any documentation about chrome plated artillery shells being used in combat.

20160511_165142.webp20160511_165117.webp

20160511_165358.webp

No explosives inside:

20160511_165456.webp

Powder train time fuse is also empty, looks to be original and unaltered:

20160511_165552.webp20160511_165244.webp
 
Upvote 18
great_find.gif
Neat! Thanks for sharing...
 
Ok, now I have to add dumpster diving to my hobbies! :laughing7: Interesting find.
 
Looks to me like a 3" WWI era Fuze as you said. Shell is probably WWII or later. My guess is modern.

WWI shells are more cylindrical like this one.
25522872xy.jpg


25522874tu.jpg


25522875mk.jpg


This is a German one, but they looked similar. Most of the WWII shells had still powder train fuzes. I dig frags of them almost every time i'm out. Better to grab them complete out of a dumpster. :laughing7:
 
Nice Save UM! Always something different and cool!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom