What's new

Asking for permission **HELP**

Dellman

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I drive by old houses in the city everyday.....built in the late 1800's and early 1900's and I think man I would love to detect that property! There's still people living there, but I never stop and ask. I ask people that I know, but never just knocked on a strangers door and ask for permission. I can see myself asking some old farmer in the country, but I'm not sure about the city. How or would you ask?

Thanks
Dale
 
plehbah said:
I also dislike it, and I do it sparingly.

It is a mixed bag, just like the people you encounter when detecting anywhere in public.

You meet some friendly accommodating people, and you meet some crack pots with a fear of technology and strangers that shout you away with every third word being "@!$#@^!" or "police".

Thanks plehbah.............I hear ya brother

Dale
 
I knock on strangers' doors and ask permission on all of the hunting I do now.  9 out of 10 say yes for hunting their plowed fields, and we get 1 out of 3 at least for the houses and wooded sites.


I am sending an article to W&E Treasures Magazine this month for future publication, and the article is about getting permission--with some interesting information in it that most folks have probably never thought about.


In the meantime, here's a good link or two for you:


http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,34422.msg375823.html#msg375823


http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,132906.0.html



Regards,



Buckleboy
 
I've been hunting some late 1800 to early 1900s homes, I knew 1 home owner when I started, asked permission and started the next day. After that I introduced myself to his neighbor(who I was, where I live, how I dig, what I'm hoping to find etc). I told him about hunting the first house and items I found, and promptly got a "sure go for it" reply. I'm on the third house now and have two others lined up. In some older neighborhoods home owners know each other, and I think they figure, if so and so let this guy hunt and had no problems, why not let him do my yard. At one home I let the owners son use my backup detector to do some hunting with me, he had a great time, Its all good. Once you get your foot in the door, you'll be hooked up.
 
have some stuff to show that you found nearby (a vacant lot or whatever). That usually helps break-the-ice, and lead in as an introtroductory reason for asking if you can "check their yard" ........ as you "suspect more such fumble-fingers losses would be in their yard as well"...

Also helps to not have to "knock" to begin with (we all know what we say/do with door-to-door salesmen, eh?). Better to catch them when they're out in their yard (sitting on the porch, doing yard work, or whatever), and strike up conversation. Be sure to have your detector in-hand, to lend to the visual "what are you talking about?" aspect. To have to go back to your truck to get it, is an immediate "no".
 
Ring Doorbell

Hi my name is _______

My hobby is metal detecting.

Are you familiar with what that is....? I then explain..

I tell them that what I do is drive around and look for older homes and ask permission to detect them , I look mostly for coins.... buttons, tokens, toy cars and that I find " A LOT OF PENNIES "

Talk a bit about what you have found...

Complement them on the nice old homestead.

Ask if maybe they remember if any type of item or items that may have been lost cause you would love to return it.

Be nice  and  friendly.

Say you will show you everything that is found.

try it it works 9 out of 10 times...

Good Luck  .... Don't be afraid....Just be yourself...

If your scared about asking ,,, tell them you are too.... it breaks the ice a little. 
 
A few more things came to mind...

Tom_in_CA said:
have some stuff to show that you found nearby (a vacant lot or whatever). That usually helps break-the-ice, and lead in as an introtroductory reason for asking if you can "check their yard" ........ as you "suspect more such fumble-fingers losses would be in their yard as well"...

Also helps to not have to "knock" to begin with (we all know what we say/do with door-to-door salesmen, eh?). Better to catch them when they're out in their yard (sitting on the porch, doing yard work, or whatever), and strike up conversation. Be sure to have your detector in-hand, to lend to the visual "what are you talking about?" aspect. To have to go back to your truck to get it, is an immediate "no".

Tom, I hate to disagree with you. You make some excellent posts about the intricacies of the permission issue... But I will respectfully disagree with you here.


It is a Rare person alive today who doesn't know what a metal detector is. I've knocked on thousands of doors, and I cannot think of an exception to that rule.

Don't worry--if they don't understand, they will ask you! But you don't have to ask them if they understand what your hobby is (it may make them feel insecure, which will NOT help your odds of getting a "yes").


Another point I must disagree with you on Tom, is that I believe one should leave their gear in the car. I even go so far as to walk up without my hands in my pockets, because I do Not want someone thinking I have a firearm in my hand. (If you live in Texas, make Double Certain that no one will think otherwise!)


I personally do not like the "check their yard" phrase. The owner may say "What's wrong with my yard?" or "What are you checking for?"

I prefer to ask if they would allow me to use my metal detector in their yard for a few hours. It is a phrase that almost everyone will immediately understand, and its clarity is it's strength. Be direct and clear in everything concerning permission--both Verbally and Physically. (One example on the physical side is to be sure to look the owner in the eyes when you speak to them.)




A few finer points: Use of the word "Allow" I have found to be Very important. It gives them the power of decision-making, and it shows them that you realize that they are in charge. This puts them more at ease with you, and it puts you in a position of humility.

I Always err on the side of humility. I don't try to buddy up with them. (If you do that, they will catch on mighty quick that you're buttering them up, and you will be more likely to get a "no.")

What you want to project is a sense of Calm Politeness.

Like what you have to ask them is the Smallest of requests--one that they'd be silly to cause a fuss about.

And keep in mind that in order for them to be at ease with you, you have to be at ease yourself when you approach that door.


I ALWAYS put a time constraint on the hunt. I want to make sure they understand that I won't be camping out there all day. I want them to know that I will not hold them up or interfere with their daily lives.

Now I might bend that a bit, but the way I see it, it's a matter of being true to my word and upholding my end of the bargain. Besides, you CANNOT build a rapport and sense of trust and respect with the land owner from just one hunt. It is a few repeated visits, spaced out over the coming weeks or months where you win acceptance. This is also the stage where you will be able to glean sites from them, their relatives, neighbors, or friends. If you ask them questions about the history of the area, local stories, tracking down owners of other sites, etc--make SURE you write it down. Don't put yourself in the position of having to ask the same questions twice! And don't expect to remember it all. You won't! Maybe after talking to the first dozen property owners--but Not after you have met thousands of people.


ALWAYS talk to the owner each time you hunt, before you start, unless they tell you otherwise. And ALWAYS let them know when you're leaving. Always! It lets them know that they have their privacy once again, and it is just plain old fashioned respect. It gives you another chance to thank them for the Privilege of metal detecting.


If you get a "No," don't let it ruin your day. Don't think mean thoughts about the owner, or hold a grudge in your mind. Move past that "No" quickly and get yourself in the right frame of mind to knock on the next door. Remember, it's their Right to say yes or no. You have No right to detect anywhere except on your property. We owe it all to the property owners.


Humility. Respect. Courtesy.


These three will take you far.




Regards,




Buckleboy
 
DP BOB said:
Be nice and friendly.

Say you will show you everything that is found.

try it it works 9 out of 10 times...

Good Luck .... Don't be afraid....Just be yourself...

If your scared about asking ,,, tell them you are too.... it breaks the ice a little.


Another nice reply. :thumbsup: The last line is Great. I never thought of that, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that it works if a person is nervous. 8)
 
sqwaby said:
I've been hunting some late 1800 to early 1900s homes, I knew 1 home owner when I started, asked permission and started the next day. After that I introduced myself to his neighbor(who I was, where I live, how I dig, what I'm hoping to find etc). I told him about hunting the first house and items I found, and promptly got a "sure go for it" reply. I'm on the third house now and have two others lined up. In some older neighborhoods home owners know each other, and I think they figure, if so and so let this guy hunt and had no problems, why not let him do my yard. At one home I let the owners son use my backup detector to do some hunting with me, he had a great time, Its all good. Once you get your foot in the door, you'll be hooked up.


Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!!

We have a winner!

"Permission by Association"


-
 
Buckle Boy great thoughts, I look forward to reading that article if it gets printed. I like what you said about calm politeness. You don't show fear around a mean dog and you can't project nervousness when asking to detect someone's property if you do that's the kiss of death for your request. I have to agree with Tom about approaching people when they're already outside. You said you get 1 out of 3 when you cold call doors, with all due respect I almost never get told no when I ask people who are already outside although I'm sure my number would be like yours if I started banging on doors. Think about it, when a stranger knocks on your door don't you get your guard up? I do, everybody does. Someone already outside is already "out in the public" and will be more open to a friendly non-threatening stranger approaching. I'll go to an area I want to detect on a beautiful weather weekend day and I'll have no shortage of homeowners to proposition. The best thing is once you get going the permissions start rolling in as you talk to neighbors who will often approach you if you are friendly and figure if it's OK with the neighbor this person is OK then.
 
Well said Buckle Boy. I have been shy and have yet to ask permission. I feel funny, so I will be looking forward to the article as well! :occasion14:
 
I'll add a ditto to the "ask them when they are outside" that is a much prefered approach. Not always possible but defintely the best. I drove past one old house at least a dozen times over a period couple months waiting to see someone in the yard, finally the day came, well it turned out to be a no go, but they were nice folks and you've got to respect their decision. No big deal there are plenty of places to hunt, just not enough time.
 
Just print up some official looking documents, and in big bold letters at the top type in "SEARCH WARRANT".


Just kidding ;D

I've been fortunate that I get invited to places to detect. Start with family and friends first, then work your way down the road. The "permission by association" tip was a great one. If they have kids, make sure you give them a three ringer (carry some extras) when you are done. Ask then if you can come back again at a later date if it was productive.
 
I found that I have way better luck when I choose to not wear a dress when I announce myself. Kidding, the main thing to do is be somewhat presentable, smile, and assume that they will say "no". You'll be surprised how often you'll be wrong.
 
metalmolly said:
Buckle Boy great thoughts, I look forward to reading that article if it gets printed. I like what you said about calm politeness. You don't show fear around a mean dog and you can't project nervousness when asking to detect someone's property if you do that's the kiss of death for your request. I have to agree with Tom about approaching people when they're already outside. You said you get 1 out of 3 when you cold call doors, with all due respect I almost never get told no when I ask people who are already outside although I'm sure my number would be like yours if I started banging on doors. Think about it, when a stranger knocks on your door don't you get your guard up? I do, everybody does. Someone already outside is already "out in the public" and will be more open to a friendly non-threatening stranger approaching. I'll go to an area I want to detect on a beautiful weather weekend day and I'll have no shortage of homeowners to proposition. The best thing is once you get going the permissions start rolling in as you talk to neighbors who will often approach you if you are friendly and figure if it's OK with the neighbor this person is OK then.

9 out of 10 for permissions for fields. 1 of 3 for permissions for woods. 1 out of 3 for doors--but it seems that these results vary greatly depending on the area you're in. I can remember growing up in Virginia as a kid I'd go door to door in old towns and get 7 or 8 yes's before I got a "no." In the city here (which is about the only place I have knocked on doors in Kentucky), I get around 1 out of 3.


Regards,


Buckleboy
 
Having them tell you to go ahead, and then after you find something, they wanna keep it because it came off of their property is what i fear more than walking up to a door and asking permission.

Not everyones like that, but there are some who are.

Thats just my opinion though, not trying to discourage you. I hope you do ask and they say 'yes' and you find lots of goodies and get to keep every bit of it! Make sure you let us know what you found.
 
Here's a few more good tips:

---Men, be clean shaved. If you have a beard, it should be neatly trimmed and clean.
---Ladies; no short shorts or other revealing clothing for obvious reasons.
---Wear clean clothing. Patches and repairs are OK, but cleanliness is mandatory.
---Do not take a handfull of equipment with you when you walk up to the door to knock. In today's social climate; you will look too intimidating.
---Only ONE person should go up to the door. Then, he or she can request permission for themselves and, maybe one other person.
---When you go up to the door and knock and you hear someone opening the door, step back away from the door several steps. That will help put the homeowner much more at ease.
---If you're wearing a hat / cap; take it off of your head as you introduce yourself. And SMILE a pleasant smile; not an idiotic grin. There is a difference.
---If you get permission to "hunt all you want", you should renew their permission periodically. Especially if you haven't been around for a while.
---If the ground is dry (no rain or watering for a while) do not DIG. Use only a screwdriver and pop out those items within about 2 inches of the surface. If you dig in dry soil, you'll leave bad spots and lose permission. If you cannot leave a place looking like you've never been there; go home and practice recovery methods in your own yard until you can leave no sign. Leaving damaged lawns will blacklist you faster than anything else.....except ogling the owner's wife, but that's a whole nuther story. ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom